Please sign in to post.

Back from Italy

Hello all. Well I got back Sunday morning after 20 days of being gone. So here is the list of our hectic schedule- 1night Milan, 2 nights Varenna, 2 nights Vernazza, 3 nights Florence, 4 nights Rome, 1 night Sorrento, 1 night Maiori, 1 night Naples, 3 nights Paris. No there wasn't much 'down' time. This was our first trip and we wanted to see all our main spots, so we did. Looking back I don't think I would have done it much different. Having never been there we wouldn't have known where we would have really enjoyed being based out of, to stay in one place verses moving around so much, now we know and can do a more relaxed trip next time. The CT was busy with tourists but I liked it much more then the AC. I loved Florence. Rome was ok. I have to say that every town was much more enjoyable after learning their transportation. Paris was fabulous. We came home with 3 less things; my umbrella was stolen the first day in milan, my sisters wallet was stolen we believe either in Vernazza or Pisa, and the people in Naples airport took my Rick steves carry-on approved cork screw. It was so much hotter in all of Italy then I ever thought it would have been but we did all that was on our to-do lists and had a great time!! Thank you again for all help and if anyone has any questions let me know and I'll try to help =)

Posted by
99 posts

oh and I do have to say that I was terrified of the whole train thing, I've never had to do anything like that. Even the buses in town and the metro scared me. But I am happy to report that it was all unnecessary! They were all the easiest thing to figure out even for a first timer. All schedules are easy to figure out and the train ticket machines are great- just make sure you find out your connecting train number before you leave, in case you only end up having literally 3 min. to figure out where to find the next train and get to that platform.

Posted by
33148 posts

Thanks for the update, Leslie. It is good to see things as you saw them. Sorry to hear of your three losses. We have lots of discussions here about security and anti-theft devices and ploys. If it is not too difficult to deal with, would you share how you think the items, especially the first 2, were lost? And I'm glad the trains worked for you...

Posted by
99 posts

HI Nigel, The umbrella was in the outside pocket of my bag. We think it was taken while in the day storage in Milan. My sister's wallet we have a couple thoughts. She had a regular messenger bag and hadn't thought of turning the opening in to her so all the zippers were exposed. As we were standing in the tunnel in Vernazza waiting for the train we were the only ones standing at the first niche, sis on one side the rest of us on the other, no one in it, until a 'policeman' came and stood inside the niche for quite some time and then just left. Or possibly sometime during taking pictures, not paying attention, in Pisa. Fortunately, she had copies of everything and hadn't kept them in her wallet, her passport was in a different spot too, so she lost atm card, CC's and her cash she had just gotten out. We noticed as we were leaving Pisa trying to buy train tickets and starting making calls. It was too early for BOA but eventually got them and no money was taken.