Please sign in to post.

August Itinerary

We are flying in and out of Venice in late August. No comments on the heat and crowds please. We know that but couldn't resist the affordable airfare. We are spending 4 nights in Venice, one of those days will be spent with family in Jesolo. We are thinking of adding a day trip to Murano and Burano. My husband adores Florence, so that is on the list. Have Florence at our home base and a couple day trips?? Pisa? Lucca? We have 3 -4 additional nights to play with - my daughter wants to go back to Riomaggiore, I was thinking Verona. Anywhere else that would make our second family trip to Italy as memorable as the first?

Posted by
7347 posts

Could you tell us where you went during your first trip to Italy, and also what did you enjoy the most? For instance, we went to Venice for several days, then Padova, a quick stop back in Verona, some wonderful days at Moena in the Dolomites, then down to Bologna and flying back out of Venice. We wanted to experience different sized towns, the mountains, etc.

Posted by
11613 posts

You can visit Pisa and Lucca in one day,

Arezzo might be an interesting stop if you haven't been, or go a little further into Umbria (Todi, Assisi, Gubbio).

Southern Tuscany (Siena, Montalcino) is another possibility.

Posted by
4105 posts

If you're going to Verona, spend some time in Pescheria del Garda. Just a 15 minute train ride from Verona. Much closer than Riomaggori. Beaches and ferries many towns along the lake.

Posted by
2048 posts

North of Venice is also very nice. We visited Udine and Trieste last year and really enjoyed them- hustorical, beautiful and not too many tourists.

Posted by
2048 posts

We have stayed at the Villa Odino which is about a 20 min drive to the Venice airport before flying out if Venice. The big pizza restaurant on the corner in the little town near the Villa is very casual with excellent food. Had a great meal there for a sendoff from Italy.