Please sign in to post.

ATM Pin

I keep reading about an ATM pin being required. I have a pin for my account here in the states. Is there another pin required? I was in Ireland about four years ago and used my ATM card with using my account pin number and had no problems.

Posted by
37 posts

Hi Mary european visa and mastercards now use "chip and pin" technology it is a smart card with a pin number. We don't have that here in the states yet. Some of the card makers like chase and now putting smart chips in their cards but not using the "chip and pin" combination. You can get a pin number for your credit cards to use at ATM machine but I'm not sure how it would be billed if used at a merchant. You can still use cards at an ATM machine in the same fashion as always

Posted by
16285 posts

IF you are asking about using your debit dr ATM card in an ATM machine to withdraw cash, your usual 4-digit PIN is fine.

Posted by
1018 posts

All you need is your 4 number checking account pin. Make sure you deposit your travel money in your checking account because you cannot access your savings account. Also, notify your bank's security department where you will be traveling and when. The whole process is easy. Buon viaggio, RB

Posted by
7737 posts

Just make sure you use four numbers, not four letters. The keypads in Italy don't have the letters, just numbers.

Posted by
32 posts

Okay...then I am set to go using my ATM debit card checking account pin number. Appreciate the help.

Posted by
1170 posts

Use the same PIN as you do at home. Just make certain that it is a numerical 4 digit PIN as the keypads in Italy do not have letters.