Please sign in to post.

ATM in FCO

Is there an ATM that is easily accessible upon arrival in FCO? We will need to get Euros to pay the taxi driver.
Thanks!

Posted by
1018 posts

I have read terrible posts concerning the ATM's in FCo airport. Sometimes you will find an out of order sign on a legitimate one and someone will be directing you to another ATM. The other machine will be set to steal your coded card info and PIN as you use it. Here is a strategy we always use: Convert some euro before you leave the USA at a bank or the Travelex kiosk located in many airports. Exchange enough so you will have cash to transit to Roma. Once you are in Roma use the ATM"s attached to a bank and only use it during the open hours. Since you will be exchanging a minimal amount here the loss differential will small. Now we always come home with 100 euro, so we will be ready when we return in the summer of 2012.

Posted by
784 posts

There is an ATM, although we had to ask a few people to find it. It was after we picked up our luggage. It worked and no scam.

Posted by
2207 posts

Elizabeth, there are three ATM's in the non-secured T3 Arrivals Area and more upstairs. I've rarely used them but never had a problem when I did. Here are two links that have pictures or maps of the T3 Arrivals Area and can show you where the ATM's are located. Terminal 3 Arrivals at Fiumicino Airport and Where to meet at FCO Airport. I'd probably still suggest to come with perhaps €100-€150 in hand. You just never know...

Posted by
238 posts

We go to Rome at least once a year and have never had any trouble using the ATMs in the baggage area or elsewhere. Certainly there's nothing wrong with bringing 100 or so with you if you can get it at a good exchange rate, but you'll have no trouble using an ATM.

Posted by
265 posts

I'll tell you who the thieves are: those kiosk's at the airport that exchange your money. They are a rip-off!!! The rates are horrible. I'm usually forced by the wife to exchange some money, but not a lot (@ $40.00). I haven't had any problems with ATM's in EU. Just watch your surroundings and don't use one of those cardboard machines held together with glue and tape (that could be a sign that you might have your account and pin# stolen). Can anyone tell me that the ATM machines we frequent and use in the US are any different and more secure than those in EU. We see and read about ATM scams daily in the US. You can get scammed in either continent. Do we actually believe that if their machines are not safe, they will continue to use them? Come on? And yes there is one around the baggage claim. Their needs are likely to be similar to ours. Including using ATM's.