Please sign in to post.

ATM Cards in Italy

Has anyone used the American Express Travel Money card in Italy? In the past I used the VISA card supplied by AAA but my local AAA office no longer offers this card and they are switching to AMEX. Will the ATM's in Italy accept an AMEX card? I know that AMEX is not as widely accepted as VISA and I am concerned about this. I like these money cards as they are not tied to your bank account and I feel more secure using them. Thanks

Posted by
23297 posts

The issue is not the name on the card BUT which network does the card access. The two best networks are Plus and Cirrus. If the card uses one of those networks, you will be fine. So check on the network. I have always found these precard to be very expensive to use when all of the fees are added in. Often in the range of 8 to 10%.

Posted by
7737 posts

Frank is right. Here's what one article says you need to watch out for: Keep an eye on the monthly fees, which can be upwards of $2.50US. You'll probably also get dinged for fees for activation, re-loading money, and making your first purchase. Every time you use an ATM, you could see a fee. If you don't use all the money you loaded on the card (and don't keep the card after the trip), you could pay to cash out your funds (e.g., $20). Some vendors and cards require minimum amounts to be loaded on the card before you can use certain features. For example, if you want to use your card at an automated gas pump, you'll need at least $50 on your card. http://www.wisebread.com/travel-and-money-using-prepaid-travel-cards And I've heard that some of these charge you a fee just to check your balance.

Posted by
38 posts

Thanks for the responses. My concern with regular ATM cards is that they are tied to your bank account. The money cards from AAA have a limited amount of funds - only what you deposit on the card. I will probably set up a separate bank account and tie the ATM card to that.

Posted by
4535 posts

Janet - I think you are overly cautious. If an ATM card is lost or stolen, they'd still have to have your PIN to use it. If it's a debit card, you might ask your bank to issue you just an ATM card too and leave the debit card at home. And yes, there are sophisticated thieves that install electronic devices on ATMs to monitor activity and steal your PIN, but those are rare and if you use machines in a bank or outside a bank, the chance is extremely rare.