Please sign in to post.

Assisi

Has anyone been to the Hermitage and to San Damiano in Assisi? My husband can't walk up the hill to or from those places. I heard there is a small bus to San Damiano. Has anyone been and know about taking that bus or about taxis? I'm wondering about costs. Do you have the taxi wait or is it more cost effective to have them come back for you? Thank you for any help you can give.

Posted by
11613 posts

I did this with a friend who has mobility issues. We had a taxi pick us up at the hotel, drop us off at San Damiano and meet us later at an agreed time. Then he drove us to the Hermitage, dropped us off, picked us up at an agreed time. He even drove a little further into the hills for a better view of the Hermitage.

He used the time between our tour to pick up/drop off other people, but he was never late, always waiting for us. I don't remember the cost but it was very reasonable. The hotel recommended him.

Note that there are some stairs at these sites, especially at The Hermitage.

Posted by
1994 posts

If hills are a problem, you may want to also look carefully at where your lodging is. The area near the Basilica of St Claire and the adjacent few blocks of the main street are probably the flattest part of Assisi. Also, there's a taxi stand conveniently close to the Basilica of St Claire

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks Sherry. We are staying by the bus stop so we can take the bus up to the top of Assisi and slowly walk down hill. He can walk and climb some, but the walk up to the Hermitage or up the hill from San Damiano would be too much. I appreciate your helpfulness. We've been to Assisi before but not to the Hermitage or San Damiano, and we are really looking forward to this visit.

Posted by
7737 posts

FWIW, Ristorante Da Cecco is probably very close to where you're staying and it's a wonderful little mom-and-pop restaurant.