Please sign in to post.

Assisi Day Trip

Hello all! Looking for some input on a day trip to Assisi from Rome. Our current itinerary is :
Venice - 3 nights
Florence - 4
Sorrento - 3
Rome - 4

How easy or difficult is a day trip to Assisi? I'd rather not spend just one night somewhere. Did you do it on your own? Has anyone taken an organized tour and if so, do you have any recommendations? Thanks!

Posted by
15213 posts

It's doable but kind of a long way for just a day. There are several trains that can take you there and back, most of which would require a change (the fastest being via Foligno). Since the Assisi station is down the hill at S.M. delle Grazie, plan on nearly 3 hours each way.
www.trenitalia.com

If you get tired of Rome, I would rather recommend you visit Orvieto, which is considerably closer.

Posted by
1994 posts

Assisi is easy on your own. The direct train from Florence takes about 2.5 hours, and add about 30 minutes more if you have to transfer trains. The train station is in the new part of the city, so you will need to take a local bus or a taxi up the hill to the old town. If you do it as a day trip, I would do a taxi to save time; it's not that expensive. There also is bus service from Florence, although I've never used that.

You don't mention when you're traveling, but at busy times of the year, Assisi is at its best in the early morning and the evening, after the day trip people have left. Consequently, with limited time, I would visit as an overnight stop between Florence and Rome.

Posted by
288 posts

LRK,

I agree that Assisi is easy enough on your own (especially with Rick's audioguides) but if you want a guided tour, I suggest Anne Robichaud. I took two tours with her while in the area in 2014 and found them enjoyable and informative.

Sharon

Posted by
15593 posts

Assisi may be easy, but it's a long trip (per Sherry, about 6 hours travel time) and you'll have little time there. I would save it for your next trip and spend a night.

Posted by
11613 posts

You can visit Assisi easily on your own. This is one place I recommend an overnight, for the reasons other posters have given. There is nothing like Assisi in the early morning and evening/night.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you all for the input! I think we're going to squeeze in a night in Assisi between Florence and Rome. For those of you who've been, does anyone have any recommendations on places to stay or eat in moderate range? I've read that truffles is really what we want to eat when we're there!

Posted by
635 posts

We enjoyed Hotel La Pallotta. Special treat is an upstairs common room with views in all four directions. The family also operates one of the better restaurants in town, also called La Pallotta, but located down the street, just off Piazza Comune. Also loved the gnocchi at Trattorio da Erminio.

Photos here.

Posted by
15593 posts

Great decision! My tips for Assisi:

• you can leave your luggage at the train station and go up to the town with just an overnight bag. There's an American expat in the station, on the left as you face the street. He'll give you a map and all the advice you want, and sell you bus tickets (or take a taxi up to save a little time).
  • do Rick's Assisi town walk audio tour (print out the map). Once I figured out where it started, it was great.
  • the Civic/Roman Forum Museum (Il Foro Romano) is very good
  • allow plenty of time for the Basilica. Rick has an audio tour. Giotto's frescoes are superb. Binoculars will help you see the detail
  • Assisi is wonderful after dark too.
Posted by
162 posts

If you are trying to keep from adding an extra day, you might want to consider one less day in Florence. Florence is an amazing city full of art and needs to be seen but unless you are already thinking of a day trip to Sienna while in Florence (which wouldn't be a bad idea- they are so close) I'd say three days is enough and head to Assisi.

Posted by
32219 posts

LRK,

For a hotel in Assisi, I'd highly recommend Hotel Ideale. It's very comfortable, in a great location right next to the Bus stop to/from the station, and easy walking distance to the sights.