Please sign in to post.

Assisi

I'm planning on 10 or so days in northern Italy in May. I was in Rome, Orvieto, and Venice on a prior trip. On this trip I plan to cover Milan (with day trip to Lake Como), the Cinque Terre, and Florence (with day trips to Siena, Pisa & another hill town). The one thing that keeps nagging at me is Assisi. I'm not religious, so it wouldn't be a pilgrimage. However, it seems like an interesting place. It's just so out of the way. Should I try to make it a day trip from Florence? Overnight? Would it be worth renting a car for a single day? Or should I just stick with places that are easier to get to?

Posted by
81 posts

The places you mentioned are already so many!! I would stick to the plan if I were you. I know well milan area and como, where I live. I can help you with this part. Let me know what you need to know, i've no problems showing you around to if you'd like or at least tell you what it's worth seeing.

Posted by
653 posts

Nathan, are you thinking of making Assisi the other hill town? It's beautiful, I visit every time I go to Italy, but it does get crowded with tourists, especially during the weekends. It's pretty much all about Francis and Claire, but if you like Italian early Renaissance painting, the basilica has got it. If you do spend a night there, you can get to Spello (only about 7km away) very easily. Other places to consider would include Todi, Montepulciano, or Arezzo for the medieval hill town experience.

Posted by
19 posts

Yes, Assisi would take the place of the hill town. The itinerary would look something like this: 1 Fly into Milan, couple hours there before bed. 2 Day trip to Lake Como 3 Milan, late train to Cinque Terre 4 Cinque Terre 5 Cinque Terre, late train to Florence 6 Florence 7 Day trip Sienna 8 Day trip to hill town or Assisi 9 Florence
10 Early train to Pisa, store bags at station, late flight to Copenhagen ("mandatory" part of the trip--relatives) I just start to feel rushed when talking about 6 hours or so hours on trains to Assisi and back. It looks like the most interesting trip, but it might be more enjoyable to go to a "lesser" town that is easier to get to.

Posted by
663 posts

Assisi is too far out of the way. If it were me, I'd probably choose Volterra, Lucca, or San Gimignano.

Posted by
81 posts

Are you arriving in malpensa or linate?? If you arrive in malpensa, there's a train called malpensa express that takes you into milan, stazione cadorna. Did you choose an hotel already?