Please sign in to post.

Assisi

I'm going to Assisi in October and would like to know if I would need to purchase a ticket ahead of time for touring the St. Francis Basilica ? Where would one go about doing that?
Thank you!

Posted by
32932 posts

When I visited I neither needed a ticket nor one in advance.

Posted by
658 posts

Just was there in March. No ticket needed. Be sure to visit the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli down the hill from the town. It is fabulous and I loved seeing the enclosed chapel where St. Francis started his ministry.

Posted by
16894 posts

It's free entry to the whole complex. Sometimes a portion will be closed during a religious service (open only to worshippers).

Posted by
7737 posts

I spent two weeks in Assisi in April/May 2015. It's so beautiful. Let me know if you want restaurant recs. Actually ran into Rick in one of the restaurants. Very tall and very nice.

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you all for your responses. I really do appreciate it. And yes, I would love restaurant recommendations!! Thanks!

Posted by
332 posts

I second the idea to visit Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli . It was awesome and so much more like Francis lol. I was there in April without any crowds and will be returning there this upcoming Thursday, with a stop in Rome first. You will love Assisi its just out of this world. We stayed and will be again in a castle type B&B with views to the Basilica...Enjoy your wonderful trip.