Please sign in to post.

Assisi?

Does anyone know if shops and restaurants are open in Assisi on Sundays?
Thanks.

Posted by
7737 posts

Some places will be closed in the early afternoon for the "riposo" (the Italian siesta), but other than that, they'll be open. We LOVED Assisi. Here are some photos I took, in case you're interested: Assisi in May 2008 Happy travels.

Posted by
11613 posts

Marjie, I recently returned from Italy, spent several days in Assisi. Except for the train schedule into town, Sundays are normal days for shops and most restaurants. However, Sunday is a very popular day for daytrips and to attend Mass, so if you plan to drive there, parking is more restricted on weekends than during the week (my friends needed a pass from the police to pick me up in the center of town near our hotel when I sprained an ankle). Lots of church bells ringing, too. Beautiful every day of the week.

Posted by
70 posts

Yes, everything is open. Lovely city, don't miss it.

Posted by
6898 posts

The nicer restaurants do close from 4-7 in the afternoon every day. Great little shops and restaurants in the even greater 700-year old buildings.

Posted by
104 posts

Wait - the train schedule into town? will the 8 am train not be leaving Florence on a Sunday?

Posted by
6898 posts

You don't say which Sunday. But, according to the current schedule, the 8:02am departure from Firenze does depart on a Sunday. The next departure is at 12:12 so don't miss the 8:02. However, the Assisi train station is not in Assisi. It's down the hill at Santa Maria degli Angeli. You will need to take a bus or taxi up to the hilltown. Note that the main streets in Assisi are a bit steep. Are you doing just a day-trip or are you staying overnight in a hotel? If you are just doing a day-trip, I suggest that you go to the little shop next door to the train station and buy a ticket on the Line C bus. The Line C bus takes you to the top of Assisi. Then, you can tour the hilltown by easily walking down the steep hills. If you start at the Basilica, which is at the bottom, you are continually walking uphill most of the day. You can easily see the train schedule on www.trenitalia.com. Type in Firenze S.M. Novella for Florence.

Posted by
11613 posts

Re: my comment on the train schedule into town: trains run on Sundays, but they may run less frequently or at slightly different times. If you look at the printed train schedules at the stations (departures are on yellow backgrounds), "Festivi" means holiday, and Sunday falls into that category. Thanks, Larry, for clearing that up. Very good advice about walking downhill rather than up.