Please sign in to post.

Arezzo

I don't hear much about Arezzo. Planning a few days in Umbria next month and then a stopover in either Arezzo or Florence on the way to the CT. Been to Florence a few times already. It has better transportation connections than Arezzo, but I want to go somewhere new. Is Arezzo worth it?

Posted by
223 posts

I got off there once and spent a half day roaming around. Its quite nice and I think I had the best meal I've ever had in Italy in a nice little place inside the old walls. (Literally inside the walls... it was a cut but tiny little place) For me the main appeal is that it doesn't get too many people stopping there. If I had to choose, I would ride the train a bit more and hit Orvieto maybe.

Posted by
83 posts

We thought so. Liked Arezzo a lot. Went to see Piero della Francesca masterpieces. Ended up spending three nights. Off of main tourist route. Arrived by train. At close-by TI we booked hotel short distance up the street. Vasari, Petrarch, Ciamabue, Piazza Grande, etc. Good walking town.

Posted by
362 posts

Arezzo is a gem - great piazza, great art, fantastic archaeological museum - and I have had some good food there too. Also famous for their antique market -

Posted by
7737 posts

We spent three nights in an agriturismo outside Arezzo in 2003. We spent one day in Arezzo itself. It's very nice - just not as flashy as some of the competition. I would recommend it for someone on their 2nd or 3rd trip to Italy.

Posted by
755 posts

Thank you. Very encouraging. Have been to Assisi and Orvieto and am excited to go somewhere new!

Posted by
251 posts

Also be sure to check out Cortona, right next door.

Posted by
2 posts

Certainly it's a lot more manageable than Florence, which needs a whole week in itself,or a lifetime! If you're serious about antiques (not cheap ones!) this is pretty much the antiques capital of Italy. The main square is special, you may have seen it in'La Vita e Bella'. The are 2 or so really good churches artwise.
If you're driving be very careful of traffic cameras. Four years on I'm still arguing with their police about a fine.

Posted by
3580 posts

A few years ago I took a daytrip by train from Florence to Arezzo. I strolled up the hill to the top of the town and had a glass of wine in the park; there is a small cafe there. I strolled back down thru the town, admiring the churches and general Italian-hilltown ambience. At the bottom I visited the archaeological museum and arena. I thought "this would be a good town for a few days' relaxation." I haven't been back. The train ride from Florence was about 90 minutes of slow travel with frequent stops. I enjoyed seeing the towns and countryside along the way.

Posted by
166 posts

Arezzo is a little gem. The fresco cycle in the church is amazing and well worth the visit & paying for the audio guide. Also, they have their answer to the Palio the Giostra Del Saracino (Joust of the Saracen). Various "knights" represent different sections of the city and take part in a jousting competition. Nowhere near as crowded as the Palio, and fun to watch. There's also a giant antique market each month during the summer in the Piazza. Fun to see the entire square filled with furniture and antiques! Photos: http://www.lodgephoto.com/galleries/italy-tuscany-arezzo/