Please sign in to post.

Arezzo

Hi We are traveling by train and we wanted to go to Arezzo from Firenze. Would 2 nights be too much time in which to see the town? Should we break it up by staying somewhere else? Would it be better to stay 2 nights in Sienna and thereby take the local bus to San G as a day trip. Thank you for any help you can give us.
Sherri

Posted by
653 posts

Sherri, two nights in Arezzo should be fine. You can take a half-day trip to Sansepolcro to see more of the paintings by Piero della Francesca, whose work is in Arezzo as well. Last year I went to San Gimignano as a daytrip from Siena, it was great. Two days later, however, the road was closed because of rainstorms and some friends had to turn back, so check the forecast before you set out.

Posted by
1018 posts

Two days would be a good amount of time to spend in Arezzo. Several years ago I spent 2 or 3 nights there and enjoyed the town. I stayed in the Hotel Continentale a few hundred meters up the street from the train station on a piazza. The upper town is very medieval. Buon viaggio,

Posted by
7737 posts

Don't forget that you can always use Google Maps Streetview to take a look around almost all the cities in Italy (except Venice). It's a great way to get a sense of a place, especially if you're in the process of narrowing down your lodging. We were in Arezzo in 2003, staying nearby in an agriturismo, and found it to be very charming and still undiscovered by most tourists.