Please sign in to post.

April 2016 Trip + Bologna Recommendations

Hello,

I am planning a trip for the end of April for 10 days/9 nights. We are flying into BLQ and out of MXP, so I have 4 nights in Bologna, 2 in Venice, 2 in Lake Garda, and 1 night in Milan. I am a little nervous about staying in Bologna. I have been to Italy three other times and wanted to try something different and eat great food; however I have heard Bologna is gritty, etc. I tend to prefer small, picturesque towns while my husband prefers larger cities so I thought I would let him win this time. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what area to stay in Bologna that might be considered "less gritty" but still in walking distance of great restaurants, etc? Also open to other recommendations in the other areas or the itinerary.

Thanks!

Posted by
11613 posts

Nine nights is really 8 days, since most of your last day will be used to getting to the airport (3 hours security, 1 hour from Milano Centrale to MXP), unless you have an evening flight out of MXP.

Bologna is not what I would call "gritty", but it is a working city, a university city that doesn't rely solely on tourism. Some great restaurants (my favorite is La Colombina), and easy day trips to Parma, Ravenna, Ferrara. Actually, you may prefer Ferrara - google some images and see what you think.

At any rate, I would spend three nights in Bologna, and 2 in the other cities you name. If you decide to stay in Ferrara for three nights, you can see the Ferrara sights in one day and daytrip into Bologna and Ravenna on two other days.

Milano has quite a lot to see, that's why I suggest two nights there. You might consider 3 nights Bologna or Ferrara, 2 nights Venezia, 2 nights Lake Garda, and 2 nights Milano.

Posted by
3122 posts

I don't have a hotel recommendation but I commend you for trying a place off the "must see" tourist track. Who knows, you may find Bologna more welcoming than some other places, simply because the locals are not sick and tired of tourists. And you will surely have more chances to meet and interact with everyday Italians instead of rubbing elbows with one tour group after another.

This article is from 2009 but offers a European view (well, British, but that's still in the EU at least for the time being, right?) and near the beginning it has click-thru to Bologna's top 5 hotels.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/italy/4223616/Bologna-city-guide-introduction-and-basics.html

That said, would your husband mind shifting a day or two from Bologna to Venice or Lake Garda?

Posted by
27172 posts

I spent several days in Bologna in 2015 and took some day trips to other cities, but I also spent quite a lot of time wandering around Bologna itself. I wouldn't call it "gritty", either. It's just that parts of the city haven't been polished up for tourism. The area right around the train station is busy and not very attractive, but a very few blocks later, as you walk toward the huge medieval district, you will forget the train station. In this respect, I found Bologna somewhat similar to (but much larger than) Padua. Bologna is not like Naples or Palermo (both of which I like, but I know some others are uncomfortable in those cities). The tourist office runs walking tours, and I bet there's a good food tour of some sort, too. It's a great food city. [Edited to add missing word.]

Edited to add: Many of Bologna's historic streets are arcaded, so it's a good place to be if you hit a rainy period.

Do make sure you have a nice, long day in Ravenna. The six or seven mosaic sites are magnificent, never mind whether you are religious or not, and the old town is just lovely. You will be very comfortable there. I can't recommend it as a base city for side trips because it's in a sort of isolated location.

Posted by
487 posts

I would not call Bologna gritty either. We stayed at the Art Hotel Commercianti which is right next to the major cathedral and a great central location in the historical center. In fact, when standing on our balcony you felt like you could almost reach out and touch the cathedral. Look at the pictures for the Deluxe Double Room. That chain of hotels has several other options in Bologna that seemed convenient as well, but I have not stayed at them. Both links are below.

http://en.art-hotel-commercianti.com/
http://www.bolognarthotels.it/en/

The dinner I remember the most was at a restaurant recommended to us by the hotel and it was located right next to the Santo Stefano Basilica. Looking at the map I am 99% sure that it was the Ristorante Cesarina on Via Santo Stefano. It was nice to eat dinner outside watching all the people in the piazza and the food was great too.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you all so much for your feedback - wow! First time poster so great to see so much advice and feedback. I'm even more excited now (if possible) and feeling better about basing in Bologna. Definitely planning a trip to Ravenna as well as a food tour. Thank you!

Posted by
1540 posts

I stayed in Albrego Centrale - in Bologna. Around the corner from the main square and famous fountain. It was perfect location. I was 3 days in Bologna and wandered all over, climbed the big tower, walked thru the university area. I took a free walking tour that I found at the tourist info office on the main square. I agree the food is fantastic.

Posted by
278 posts

I wish we were staying in Bologna at least one night.
If you like tenors Il Volo is playing May 5 at 9 pm there. We will be in Siena and unable to go. Saw them on tv recently in a concert in Florence with Placido Domingo.
Intro is in Italian then they come on stage.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SBU7sJwwemg