Please sign in to post.

Apple Pay

Is Apple Pay, via iPhone or Apple watch, prevalent in Europe and, more specifically, Italy? During the pandemic, I've gotten very used to using both platforms on a daily basis for coffee, meals, and small purchases.

Posted by
2267 posts

Yes, yes, yes!

Not Italy, but I was just in Madrid for 11 days and literally only used cash ONE time. And that was to break a 50 euro note, just in case I needed smaller bills.

Posted by
4428 posts

I wouldn't count on Apple Pay, but I can confirm that contactless credit card pay has swept the continent. damned convenient.

Posted by
513 posts

I've used Apple Pay in Rome recently. No problems.

Posted by
191 posts

For me, using Apple Pay on my Apple Watch is the essence of contactless payment!

Posted by
211 posts

If you see that contactless logo on the point-of-service terminal, Apple Pay will work, just like a credit/debit card with a chip.

Posted by
7570 posts

Apple is not the phone of choice in most of Europe, but with covid, Italy has rapidly adopted contactless pay, to the point where I was encouraged to tap, instead of insert my card. As another poster stated, if a device accepts tap to pay, it likely accepts phone pay apps, both Apple and Google Pay. It may vary by the business some, but worth trying.

An Edit: As a result of encouraging contactless pay, they have also increased the "Dollar" limit that can be used with no further verification...so using either phone or contactless card, no PIN or signature is required for most transactions. Makes it much faster and less cumbersome for Americans with chip and signature cards, so even if Apple/Google Pay is not for you, contactless is an easy substitute.

Posted by
191 posts

My only tap-ro-pay credit card is an American Express card which, according to other posts, doesn’t enjoy universal acceptance in Italy. As a result, I applied for a tap-to-pay Visa card. I figure between that card and Apple Pay, I should be in the contactless payment sweet zone!

Posted by
3 posts

Just returned from London, Rome and Southern Italy last night (3/31). The most time I used cash was to pay my taxi fare, some of them even were done via contactless pay. Definitely standard form of payment in London and Rome, but I was in smaller towns - Battipaglia, Salerno, Paestum, and Positano - for several days... all of the vendors accept contactless pay. Additionally since I have it on my phone (Samsung S21 Ultra - using both Google Pay and Samsung Pay), I did not need to present the card physically - no risk of forgetting to collect the card or losing it. Win-win!

Posted by
191 posts

Paying via my watch means no fumbling for my phone or wallet, so that's definitely a win-win-win

Posted by
13 posts

Returned last week from our trip from Rome, Pompeii, Pisa, Florence, and Venice - most all major locations accepted contactless payments - even metro in Rome. I didn't specifically use Apple Pay, but the credit card I stored within the Apple Wallet. Only locations I didn't have ability, were places that weren't ready for credit at all - out in the Tuscany country side, at a small vendor, etc. Just used euros for that.