Please sign in to post.

Apartments in Rome

In June 2009 my family is planning a trip to Rome for 3 weeks. We will be a large group (10-15 people), including several grandchildren in their 20's. While we'd love to stay in the Piazza Navona area, the rental rates are very high, and places are difficult to find for such a large group. To save money, we also must have cooking facilities. I do have a lead on some apartments in the St. John in Lateran area. The place is about 400 meters from the Re di Roma Metro Station. I have heard from one person on the Traveler's Helpline, but does anyone else have information about this area (safety, accessibility to transportation, ambiance, nightlife, etc.)? Alternatively, can anyone offer other possible locations in Rome for our family gathering. Thanks!

Posted by
1 posts

Thank you Regina - You've just alleviated numerous fears. We booked a darling apartment in this area not realizing how far south it was. I was worried that perhaps it was too far south and in an unsafe neighborhood. But it sounds as if we should be in good shape. We are staying on Via Caulonia. How long was the walk to the Rei di Roma Station by the way?

Posted by
448 posts

I've been to Rome several times, most recently this month (may)...and we stayed in an apt found via cross.pollinate...it was just off the via Merulana..which i think is the most beautiful street in Rome..it has trees!!...and it continues down to San Giovanni in Laterno...one metro stop from your possible apt at Metro re di roma...I sure don't KNOW the area..it's just a bit out of the guide book range...but that metro takes you to Spanish steps for the nightlife..if there isn't enough local..and bus 87 goes from there to very close to Vatican...Finding a rental for a large group isn't easy...good that you're planning ahead...and wOW!! 3 weeks in Rome!...we just had a week and i desperately need more pizza.....Oh, and that area might seem "far" from the center at first, but as soon as you know your way around...all is amazingly close...by bus and metro and foot and those cute little electric buses from St Giovanni...

Posted by
448 posts

Jennifer...could you verify that street spelling for me..i don't find it on my maps...so much for making you feel calm......But the St Giovanni area is quite good, "local" and Rome...

Posted by
448 posts

...Jennifer...i just did a google check...and it seems that your street is closer to metro Circo Massimo...which will still be okay, if that was the right spelling....And just to repeat myself, all will seem far away at first, but as soon as you start walking and taking the metro...it gets close