Please sign in to post.

Apartments in Rome and Florence 2013

Hello! Any suggestions on apartment searches for Rome or Florence? I have been looking at the airbnb website, however are there any other good search sites to find apartments? Also, neighborhoods in Rome, any thoughts on a good one to stay? Looking for a place near a market for groceries, ease of public transport and safety?
Thanks!

Posted by
8178 posts

You should be able to find any accommodations you want on Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agriturismo.com, villas.com, Venere.com. The Chianti/Tuscan countryside has apartments available in many, many farms if you have a rental car. Many are just 10-20 miles south of Florence. If you want to find out information about Rome, see RonInRome.com for details.

Posted by
11376 posts

We've used VRBO.com all over Italy with great success. Stayed here in 2011 prior to moving and loved the 'hood, just 5 minutes walk from Campo dei Fiori, 10 from Piazza Navona, and close to tram and buses. Grocery store a couple of minutes away, too. Stay near P.za Navona, CDF or the Pantheon and you are golden.

Posted by
415 posts

www.homeaway.com www.homeholidays.co.uk www.halldis.com www.windowsonitaly.com I've used all of the above successfully. The first two are listings by owners so you need to check references, etc. Although a bit off the beaten path, I rented a lovely apartment in the Aventino area of Rome. 15 minute walk to Testaccio market which may have recently moved to more modern quarters, but was a great market for food and shoes. Close to metro, lots of buses available too. I could also walk to the colosseum. This is a very good rental in Rome
http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p464156

Posted by
144 posts

Used Rick's book as a guide and through beepollen(Something like that) we stayed at Iris's flat in Trastevere, Rome. Some people say Trastevere is to far away from center of Rome, but we had 5 minute walk to bus and then 10-15 minutes to Vatican, Colosseum etc. In the evenings eat at the places suggested by Rick in Trastevere

Posted by
20 posts

So thankful for taking the time to write to this post. Cheers!
Thankyou

Posted by
712 posts

Besides the old standbys that have already been mentioned, try Wimdu.com. Also,just do a Google search for combinations of the words flat, Florence (or Rome), holiday rental, vacation rental,etc... You'll be up to your eyeballs in websites. I booked my last Florence trip, as well as my upcoming summer trip, via SabbaticalHomes.com. Some have restrictions with regard to length of stay (they prefer at least a month) but many are available for days or weeks. Have a good trip!

Posted by
17 posts

We stayed very near Campo de Fiore in Nov. 2012. 2 bed/2 bath. Every morning a huge market is set up in the campo. There are many restaurants and carryouts also. Great area, we walked every where. I'd also check out Tavesere area because a local told us it was less expensive there. We went there our last day and I really like the vibe. We walked from there back to our apartment. But it was Nov. and the weather was cool so we didn't get worn out with the heat and humidity. Ciao, Peggy

Posted by
1501 posts

I used VRBO and stayed in a 2 bedroom 2 bath in Florence: VRBO 68776 This may be too big for you, but went once with two couples and again with
several girlfriends. Very safe neighborhood, 10 minute walk to the Duomo.

Posted by
7487 posts

We used VRBO and stayed in a great 1 bedroom in Trastevere. We were a 5 min. walk to the tram and a 2 min. walk to a direct bus to Vatican. Trastevere is more central than most people realize. The transportation is so easy and fast. The other advantage is taking the cheap 8E train directly to the Trastevere station from Fiumicino. The apartment was right around the corner from a fresh pasta store, a wonderful tavola calda, and a block and a half from a fresh daily market in a square in Trastevere. We paid 750E for 8 nights. I would be glad to give you more details if you wish.

Posted by
97 posts

Hi Sar, Another good suggestion is Sleepinitaly.com. We are going in May and many people have suggested them as a reputable company. I've had a few e-mails back and forth when them, and they are very responsive and helpful. Cyn, I'd love to see where you actually stayed. Hadn't considered Trastevere as a location to stay. Good luck!
Becky

Posted by
2 posts

Hi
I'm planning/booking our trip for June right now. I love the airbnb site. I booked an apartment in the heart of Venice and am about to do the same in Florence. Found some great Rome locations, but we decided to stay in a hotel on points to save some $$. I love that on airbnb that you can learn so much from the reviews, learn about the owner and see so many pictures (even street view on many!). I also like that they function as the booking agent (small fee) and hold your payment until you've been in the rented unit for 24 hours to make sure everything is the way it is supposed to be. I would just suggest to look at all the details of an apartment to be sure of what is included. You can also message the owner to as questions before you commit. I've used vrbo domestically and really like it... I'm often a little nervous when dealing directly with an owner with no one to back me up, though. :) Have fun!

Posted by
10 posts

We are visiting in April/May and I booked apartments using VRBO in Venice, Vernazza, and Rome. We've used VRBO many times and like it because landlords must include all of the reviews or none but can't pick and choose which reviews are published.
Apartments are usually much cheaper and get you right into the area where you want to be instead of an area with hotels and lots of other tourists.