Please sign in to post.

Can Anyone Recommend Accommodations in Padua?

Looking to visit Padua and Venice (by train) with a friend. Does anyone have a recommendation for an apartment in Padua (2 beds) that is close the train or otherwise centrally located?

Posted by
312 posts

The Padua train station is across the river from the town center. There are buses and a tram that can get you back and forth without much difficulty, and it's also walkable (albeit with some traffic around the bridge). But I found it preferable to stay across the river, closer to the sights.

I can't help with an apartment (I stayed in a single room at a B&B near Scrovegni Chapel).

Posted by
27137 posts

I vote with Melissa. In Padua I'd rather be closer to the historic center. As is pretty common, the area around the train station isn't the prettiest part of town.

Posted by
93 posts

We rented this apartment in 2014 and were very pleased. HomeAway Rental 6462570 .The building is old - 15th century - but the apt is in great shape. It is on the second floor - no elevator , about 35 -40 steps.The location was perfect for seeing the many sites of Padova and on the tram line to the train station. We visited Venice by train very easily. Walter the host is excellent , speaks beautiful English and is very interesting and well traveled himself.

Posted by
5697 posts

We stayed at the Casa del Pellegrino (run for pilgrims to the Saint Anthony basilica across the street) and used the quick tram to the train station. Very clean, safe, comfortable, reasonably priced.

Posted by
117 posts

Thanks for the suggestions.

The homeaway rental is not available for my dates. Too bad -- It looks quite nice!

Posted by
2450 posts

Second the Casa del Pellegrino. Very nice and helpful staff. Walking distance to everything I wanted to see.

Posted by
32212 posts

Terri,

I stayed at Hotel al Santo on a visit to Padova not too long ago, and would most definitely recommend it. The rooms are very comfortable and clean, and the staff are wonderful. It's a family-run hotel and they also have a restaurant. It's close to the large Basilica and easy access to the rail station via the Tram.

Posted by
117 posts

Thanks, I will check out the Hotel al Santo. I am still debating whether to just stay in Padua for 2 nights and visit Venice from there. I've been to Venice a few times but my friend has not so I think she should at least see it. I have never been to Padua and hear there is much to see.

Posted by
6299 posts

Terri, we also loved the Albergo al Santo. It's the same one Ken mentioned; you'll see it listed both ways, even at the hotel. Great staff, and when we were there last June, it was €84 per night, breakfast included. It's where we'll stay should we ever return to Padua.

Posted by
11294 posts

For two nights, I'd go with a hotel rather than an apartment. And I agree with staying away from the train station. Not only is the rest of the city nicer, but the tram makes getting to and from the train station easy.

I stayed at Rick's recommended Hotel Belludi 37 (actually, before it was in his book), and would do so again: http://www.belludi37.it/en/