Please sign in to post.

Anyone ever been to Vignamaggio? Recommended vineyards to check out down the SR222

Has anyone ever tried Vignamaggio in Tuscany (Greve in Chianti)? If so, what was your experience like? We are thinking about stopping here. Are there any other places around the same area (off SR222) that you would recommend over Vignamaggio? Looking for an unforgettable wine tasting experience with a meal. Let me know!
Thanks,
-Al

Posted by
11346 posts

We enjoyed our tour there. Very beautiful and historic site (expensive wine!) and a nice tasting with a "snack" that amounted to lunch. Not an inexpensive tour but we thought it was worth the price.

Posted by
672 posts

Going there in March for a winery tour and a cooking class. There are some very nice videos on YouTube about Vignamaggio. Others in this forum have recommended it for wine tasting and lunch. From the website: "Legend has it that the Mona Lisa (Gherardini) spent a lot of time at Vignamaggio, the home of her cousins, the Gherardis, who owned the villa from 1421." So, good food and wine, beautiful scenery, and history all rolled into one place sounded too interesting to pass up. Vignamaggio is also an agriturismo that, in addition to cooking classes, offers activities for guests (horseback riding, hiking, etc.). I will report on it when we return from our trip.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks Laurel and Robert!

Yes I think this place looks ideal. From their website, I was a little confused as to the times they offered for the lunch and dinner tours. Does the lunch tour start at 12:30 and the dinner tour start at 18:30?

This is what it says on the website:
"Our guided tours take place regularly at 10:30 and 15:30.
The tour followed the lunch begins at 12:30, while in the evening before dinner, the visit is at 18:30.
These times are only indicative and modifiable based on availability and requirements of our guests."

Not exactly sure how to read this. It sounds like they are flexible based on guest requirements. I will probably email them about it.

Anyways, looking forward to hearing how your experience goes Robert. Have fun!

-Al