Please sign in to post.

Anyone actually been to Cinque Terre in 2012?

Hi, We're going to CT in March. I bought the 2012 RS Italy book, and it is not correct on the CT. ALL the hotels in Vernazza are shut until at least Easter (1st week in April) and some are saying that nothing is going to be working until June...for instance the gas line won't be repaired until then. We're going anyway to the CT in March!! The question: what trails are actually open? I asked the people at the hotels in Vernazza and Manarola and no one knew (too busy fixing their places up). If you've been and can inform on the hikes, that would be great. Thanks!

Posted by
32219 posts

David, I haven't been there for several months, but have been checking on the status on a daily basis. March is a bit "early" and slightly before the tourist season opens there. First, regarding the "errors" that you noted about the RS Italy 2012 Guidebook. That book went to print last fall, likely prior to the events of Oct. 25th. Rick will be in the C.T. in April, and will be providing updates on the current status at that time. These will be noted in the "Guidebook Updates" section of this website. Regarding the trails - local authorities have announced that they hope to have all the trails open by Easter (which I believe is Apr. 6 - 9 this year), so that's the only information available at the moment. At the present time, only the Via dell'Amore (Riomaggiore / Manarola) is open. The small Bar & restaurant on that trail probably won't open until April. The Hotels in Manarola likely won't have much "fixing up" to do, as they weren't affected by the floods, although the residents of the C.T. usually do routine maintenance at this time of year when they're closed. Of course, the biggest challenge will be to get tourist facilities in Vernazza restored prior to the start of the season. I've heard that some lodgings are accepting bookings on May 1st, but waiting for confirmation on that. Which of the villages are you planning to stay in? The "old town" section of Monterosso has made excellent progress with repairs, so that's one possibility. Happy travels!

Posted by
109 posts

Ken, Really appreciate the input. Not much we can do about the March 12th visit, as we have friends coming from Texas who REALLY want to go. We live in Perugia, so we're definately going back later!! I was mistaken when I said Manarola. I meant Monterosso. It sounded like there was not much to do, but enough that the places I contacted were not opening before Easter. We're going to stay in Riomaggiore with Edi. I think the current plan is to get there in the evening, Monday, do dinner, do what we can of the CT the next day, Tuesday, and leave for Florence for dinner. Thanks!

Posted by
109 posts

Fantastic!! It would be awesome for this link to be in the RS book, for those of us travelling outside the peal season. Many thanks.