Please sign in to post.

Any comments/suggestions on itinerary for Italy May 2020 trip?

We have been to Italy twice before, but I would love some feedback from more experienced travelers to this area. I have tried to arrange our itinerary in a way that keeps car rental, train travel and connections to a minimum. Any suggested changes? Rental car pick up and drop off locations? I have NOT booked flights or hotels, but plan to in the next few days.

I am not sure if it would be feasible to try to stop in Pisa to see the Leaning Tower (husband is a civil engineer so he is interested) and to spend a few hours in Lucca before driving to Pienza. Thanks for any suggestions!

Italy - May 2020 - 18 or 19 days

May 7 Flight from Houston to Genoa

Night
1 Arrive Genoa – take train to Monterossa

2 Monterossa

3 Monterossa
4 Monterossa
5 Train to: La Spezia - Rent Car/ Stop in Pisa to see tower/ Lucca - Drive to Pienza
6 Pienza
7 Pienza
8 Pienza
9 Pienza
10 Return car in Florence Campo di Marte? Train to: Ortisei 1
11 Ortisei 2
12 Ortisei 3
13 Ortisei 4
14 Ortisei 5
15 Ortisei 6
16 Ortisei 7

17 Train to: Venice 1
18 Venice 2
19 Venice 3 – or Flight to Houston
20 Flight from Venice to Houston

Posted by
11680 posts

Good plan, overall! Depending on how late your flight arrives (you mention ‘night’) be sure you know train options to Monterosso al Mare as trains in general become fewer later.

Good idea to rent in La Spezia and yes, there should be time to stop in Pisa and Lucca. You have, I estimate, a 4 hour drive without stopping so plan accordingly.

There is no train to Ortisei. Take the train to Bolzano by way of Verona and then a bus or taxi (€85-90) to Ortisei. I am so happy to see you spending a week in our favorite place in Italy! Be aware, though, that snow can linger at higher elevations and sometimes it actively snows in May! Only a couple of lifts open in mid-May (Rasciesa and the lift from Ortisei to the Alpe di Siusi) and a couple more in early June, followed by the rest in mid-June. You will receive a bus pass from your lodging that is good for your entire stay and that will get you to some places for hiking at lower elevations as well as at Passo Sella.

We love Venice, too, so adding a night there, even if at the expense of a day in Ortisei, might be worthwhile.

Posted by
52 posts

You will definitely have time to see Pisa. You might want to consider renting the car in Pisa and taking the train directly from Monterosso to Pisa. That way you don't have to worry about finding parking in Pisa. You can drop your luggage at the train station for a few hours, walk or taxi to the tower, and then take the PISA mover shuttle from train station to airport where it's an easy walk over to the car rental agencies.

You didn't ask for restaurant suggestions but we absolutely loved Via Venti in Monterosso. So much in fact that we ate dinner there twice during a three night stay.