Please sign in to post.

Another Trenitalia question

Good evening all, I'm a bit confused about fares/trains on Trenitalia. My daughter is 14, and I understand that on the intercity trains she qualifies for a child fare. On regional trains she is an adult fare - correct? So travelling from Rome to Orvieto by train is a regional train/fare and Orvieto/Firenze is an Intercity? Or does it just depend on the timetable and which type of train we end up getting? Might just be easier to get adult tickets all round! :) Second question - from Venezia to Rome there are 9 of us and Trenitalia won't let me book that many tickets together as we would like to sit together. Any suggestions? I have used Loco2 before to buy tickets France/Spain and it worked really well, and there was no extra cost. Any downside to doing the same in Italy as I can get 9 tickets all together with Loco2? Thanks for any advice.

Posted by
138 posts

Hi there,
Check Italotreno website, in my opinion, it has a less confusing choice of fares and which is more important allows to buy up to 29 tickets at the same time. Hope this helps :)

Posted by
3812 posts

Italotreno has a less confusing choice of fares because they run only high speed trains! Note that transfers between trains run by competing companies are not protected.
Italo runs less trains than Trenitalia from Venice to Rome, but their discounted tickets are usually cheaper.

The search results page on Trenitalia.com lists the type of trains used to get from A to C with a transfer in B. It will say intercity XYZ and Regionale YZX depending on the departure hour selected.

Make 2 seaparate purchases, on the second one check the seat selection box and pick the same car assigned to the other members of the group.

Prices aside, The problem with re-sellers like loco2 is that they don't run any train: Trenitalia's staff at the counter has no obligation of helping you in case of troubles. 99% of the times it's not a problem, but...

Posted by
138 posts

Thanks Dario,
I know Italotreno runs only high-speed trains but I guess can be used with no problem for Venezia - Roma route.
And you are correct that Trenitalia runs a lot of trains, including smaller regional ones, which can be a lifesaver for tiny cities in the Italian regions. I like Italo better cause they have better user interface, and not so many confusing fare, but all IMHO.

I would use Italotreno for bigger cities connections and Trenitalia for the rest.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you so much for the replies and the advice! I think using Trenitalia with Dario's suggestion is the way to go as it makes sense re connections etc. Thanks again!

Posted by
16893 posts

Rome to Orvieto can be either a Regional or an InterCity train, depending on the departure time you choose. Your understanding of the age ranges matches mine. So if you start a search with a child in the mix but then decide you want a regional train, you might need to back up and change the child to an adult, although in my test the Trenitalia shopping cart did correct the fare based on the birthdate requested on a later step. There's no advance purchase discount for Regional trains, so no particular benefit to buying online.