Please sign in to post.

Another train question

We are going to Italy this April. Arriving in Venice on April 5 and traveling to Florence on the 7th then to Rome on the 9th with a day trip to Pompeii from Rome. We are one adult one senior and 2 youths under 26. Is it a better deal to get 2 saver rail passes for Italy or to buy point to point tickets when we get there? Thanks for your help

Posted by
430 posts

You'll have to do the actual math to know for sure, but it is likely with those stops the point-to-point tickets will be cheaper.

Go to www.trenitalia.com to search out the cost of each point-to-point ticket and compare that with the cost of the pass.

Do note that I use a 80/20 rule of thumb on this though... if the pass is only 20% more expensive than point-to-point I usually buy the pass -- just in case I change my mind about destinations and just feel like taking an unplanned train ride somewhere.

Posted by
15 posts

Can you get a ticket for 4 people on the Italian trains or are they per person only?

Posted by
1449 posts

keep in mind that from Rome to Pompeii you don't go the whole distance on Trenitalia; you go Rome -> Naples, then take an independent train line called Circumvesuviana to Pompeii. Figure on at least 2 hours travel time each way. Train passes aren't going to buy you much convenience and are probably significantly more expensive. You can't use them on the Circumvesuviana, and if you want to ride the fast train from Rome -> Naples you'll still need to make reservations for a particular train at 10E per-person (see http://www.eurail.com/eurail-reservations-supplements-domestic )

Also I've visited both Herculaneum and Pompeii and liked the former better. The ruins are in better condition and it looks more like a town.

Posted by
7737 posts

And don't forget to punch the tickets in the little yellow boxes before you get on board.