Please sign in to post.

(Another) Itinerary Check

Hi everyone,

I’ve been a long time reader (both RS books and this forum). Ya’ll helped me with my trips to Greece, Spain, and Ireland. I also cut off CT & Lake Como based on your suggestions in this forum with my timeframe. Now, I’m hoping to get advice on my 17-night Itinerary. I have TWO rough draft options. Which one would you suggest (as you’ll see, my itineraries show that I’m torn between having a taste of Tuscany vs. a taste of Amalfi coast)? Also, would you edit either of them?

Background: Married couple. Early 30s. No kids. Very athletic. LOVE history & philosophy, architecture, scenic views, wine, food, and art (in that order). We are the type of vacation people where our ideal day is spending the morning & early afternoon being super active (activities, walking, sightseeing) and then the late afternoon/early evening in vacation/sloth mode (drinking, eating, reading, lounging/napping, leisure walking/shopping, laundering clothes, etc.).

ROUGH DRAFT OPTION 1:

Venice-3N

Day 1-Land Venice; sleep Venice

Day 2- Venice

Day 3- Venice

Florence-3N

Day 4- Train to Florence; sleep Florence

Day 5- Florence

Day 6- Florence

Siena-2N

Day 7-Train (or car?) to Siena; sleep Siena

Day 8- Siena

Montepulciano-2N

Day 9- Drive to Montepulciano; sleep

Day 10- Montepulciano

Assisi-1N

Day 11- Drive to Assisi; sleep Assisi (worth it? Or better to add this night to Montepulciano?)

Rome-6N (day trip to Pompeii or no?)

Day 12- Drop car in Spoleto; train to Rome

Day 13- Rome

Day 14- Rome

Day 15- Rome

Day 16- Rome

Day 17- Rome

Day 18- Fly home

ROUGH DRAFT OPTION 2:

Venice-3N

Day 1-Land Venice; sleep

Day 2- Venice

Day 3- Venice

Florence-4N

Day 4- Train to Florence; sleep

Day 5- Florence

Day 6- Day trip to Siena (worried I won’t fully experience Siena with just a day trip); sleep Florence

Day 7- Florence

Sorrento- 4N (or scrap 1N from Florence with no day trip to Siena to add 1N here?)

Day 8- Train to Sorrento; sleep Sorrento

Day 9- Sorrento

Day 10- Day trip Pompeii, sleep Sorrento

Day 11- Sorrento

Rome- 6N (any day trips?)

Day 12- Train to Rome; sleep Rome

Day 13- Rome

Day 14- Rome

Day 15- Rome

Day 16- Rome

Day 17- Rome

Day 18- Fly home

Posted by
330 posts

I would go with Option 1. Given your age you’ll likely return to Italy and can go to Sorrento on another trip with more time and include Naples and Capri.

Regarding Option 1, Assisi is definitely worth a night or three. I would take Montepulciano out and add a night to Venice and a night to Assisi. Taking Montepulciano out, I don’t think you need a car.

On another trip you can rent a car and visit the hard to get Tuscany towns like Montepulciano.

Posted by
7348 posts

Hi Audree, what month of the year will you be traveling? That might sway my answer.

Posted by
6 posts

You are all so helpful. I so appreciate your replies!

Jean—we have “dog-eared” a timeframe of August 25-October 25, but we haven’t confirmed when in that 2-month window to go. We love warm weather (80°-90° F), but the 115°F in South Spain this past July-August was too much!

So, I’d love input on what dates to go! :)

Posted by
4380 posts

I would do whatever I needed to do to see Pompeii. I've been to Pompeii twice on day trips from Rome. I have been to Assisi and don't see the attraction of Assisi unless you're doing a spiritual pilgrimage

Posted by
6 posts

Christine— Thank you!!

Cala—We are so torn for the same reasons. We’d love to experience wine country, but we’re huge lovers of archeological sites!

Posted by
7348 posts

Hi Audree, from your replies and also your priorities, you might like something like Venice, (eliminate Florence), Siena/Montepulciano, Salerno (instead of Sorrento) & end in Rome. Salerno has Paestum a short distance by train which you would love for the chance to walk among and also in one of the Greek Temples. The temples are a quick walk from the Paestum train stop. And Pompeii is a 40-minute train ride from Salerno, according to Trenitalia (I didn’t go to Pompeii). And Amalfi, etc. are easy by ferry from Salerno. September should still be great for the ferries running.

Florence is a mega art location, plus more, but I’m hearing you more pulled in the direction of some countryside villages & scenery of Tuscany and the archeological sites. Taking out those three nights could fulfill these other two wishes.