Please sign in to post.

Another Italy on-the-ground Report, Sept. 2021

Hubby and I have been in Italy 3 1/2 days, still getting over jet lag. Seeing our CDC cards has been requested 5 times, and always accepted.

Flew Denver>Dallas>Rome, on American Airlines. Used the VeriFLY app to record personal data, photo, vaccination details, and negative antigen test (Abbott Binax proctored test). The test was a breeze the day before we flew from Denver, 20 minutes apiece for us, but getting the results to load into VeriFLY was a frustratingly long process, requiring many attempts.

The Denver airport was also frustrating and disappointing, with many, many people not properly wearing the required masks, exposing mouth and/or nose. Several were just wearing chin diapers, and one guy - very early twenties - had no mask of any kind. No authorities were enforcing the mask rule.

Dallas/Ft. Worth airport had far, far better mask compliance. At the gate to get on the plane, they just wanted to see that we had a passport, but not to see inside it. They then took a facial recognition photo, which was recognized, and we were waved on. I suspect the time and effort it took to get the VeriFLY profile created paid off in a simple boarding.

Immigration control at the Rome airport was fast, just showed passports to the official in the glass kiosk, and continued out the door into Rome. Again, VeriFLY may have made the process easier - don’t know what the Italians already knew about upcoming arrivals.

Leonardo Express train into Termini Station in downtown Rome, bought tickets from the machine just before the exit of the airport building, with assistance from a staffer at the machine. No question about vaccination status then, or on that train.

At Termini, bought tickets to continue on to Bologna on the next Italo train, which was €30 per person cheaper than the Trenitalia leaving 5 minutes sooner. The ticket machine wouldn’t process our US Visa card, but an extremely nice woman in the nearby Italo booth did.

First CDC card request: The conductor who checked our ticket once the train was underway also asked to see our Green Passes. I showed him my CDC card, saying that we Americans had a “White Pass.” That worked, although he said he was astonished that the cards from the “most advanced country in the world” had such unofficial-looking vaccination passes - no stamp or anything, just hand-written shot details, and not an electronic version.

CDC card request 2: getting inside restaurant for Day 1 lunch.

Request 3 was on Day 2, to take the Walking Tour put on by the TI, but not to get into the TI itself. Most people on the tour kept masks on the whole time, and the tour was all outside except for a few minutes inside the enormous Basilica on the main square. A few didn’t wear masks, including the tour guide.

Request 4: getting inside restaurant for Night 2 dinner.

Request 5 was to get into one museum, Day 3. No requests have been made at supermarkets or other stores, in taxis, at the TI, or in any church. All churches do have a hand sanitizer dispenser just inside the entry door.

Making reservations on the phone tonight for dinner tomorrow, we were asked whether we will have vaccination certification.

Restaurant serving staff are all wearing masks - not always over both nose and mouth. People are pretty much all wearing masks indoors. Outside, it’s 5-10% with masks on faces. Many have masks slung under their chins, at the ready to be raised. More have a face mask slid over their upper arm, like an armband. Today (Saturday) was really crowded in many places, and masks outside were extremely few. So many streets in Bologna are lined with semi-enclosed porticoes, not wide-open sidewalks, and others are very narrow, so they can get pretty packed on busy days.

It depends where you are - most places seem to specify keeping a 1 meter distance from others, one (the museum day before yesterday) said 1.5 meters apart, and a couple places have posted staying 2 meters apart.

Posted by
196 posts

Thank you for this info. I am headed to Rome/Florence for Christmas!

Posted by
2252 posts

Sadly, I’m not going to Italy any time soon but I’m sure enjoying your trip report! Thank you for taking the time to post “on the ground”, so to speak! Have a great time!

Posted by
1646 posts

Thank you. Will (hopefully) be there in just over 5 weeks.

Posted by
7811 posts

Those arcades block out that hot sun in Bologna. I was in Italy in late July early August. It sounds the same except that green pass was not effect.

Posted by
7330 posts

Porticoes also blocked the worst of the rain deluge 3 days ago. But the flooring underneath was slick. And crossing an alleyway, leaving one portico and entering the next, left one exposed to pouring rain - still quite wet.

Posted by
291 posts

Thank you Cyn for taking the time to write and share this info. Your posts and tips are always so helpful and much appreciated. I am flying non-stop DFW-FCO at the end of October, then heading up to Turin, so your experiences are helpful for me to plan accordingly. If you have time, once you return to the states, please post your testing experience in order to return. That is the part that has me worried if I test positive. I was not at all aware of Verifly, so will be checking that out tonight. Grazie mille di tutto e buon viaggio.

Posted by
16 posts

THANK YOU. Very detailed. We leave for MXP on 10/13 and your report about Binax antigen test and arrival in Italy was very helpful. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Posted by
7330 posts

I’ll try to provide a coming-home-to-America test report, alohalover. Almost nobody’s wearing masks outside, now that we’ve moved south to southern Tuscany. Didn’t get “carded” to get into restaurant this afternoon - maybe they didn’t ask any of their patrons for proof of vaccination. Hmmm. Tables were spaced out, though. Indoors elsewhere, everyone’s wearing masks. Hand sanitizer dispensers provided at many many places, and are being used by all who pass. Testing negative shouldn’t be a problem, but until you get a passing score, I guess it’s in question. Being vaccinated is the main thing, and everything else should fall into place.

The upcoming mandate for Italians to be vaccinated if they want to still be able to work should be an additional assurance for visitors. People in the service industry that you encounter on your trip will have gotten their shots, so they’re doing their part, too.

Posted by
7330 posts

Rick, you’re certainly welcome. You too!

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks for all the helpful info. We leave Oct. 9 for Rome from Newark. Conductor on train was a fear we had about the “white pass”. It looks so homemade. We are taking the proctored Ellume test which was easily accepted last month in Iceland. Delta is partnering with that company.