I know this is getting crazy but I'm hearing folks are concerned that the antigen test will not be accepted in Italy. It's my understanding that some countries don't accept it, but Italy is not one of them. At this point I'm second guessing everything from 48hr or 72hr and now the type of test. The official sites don't seem too clear or maybe it's just me
48 hours for antigen, 72 for PCR.
Delta had posted and texted that a molecular or antigen covid test within 72 hours to meet the new Sept 1 requirement.
Clicking through Delta's website, they note that the requirements are: Passengers arriving from Canada, Japan or USA must have:
- a negative COVID-19 antigen or molecular test taken at most 72 hours before arrival; and
- a COVID-19 vaccination certificate showing that they were fully vaccinated at least 14 days before arrival. Vaccines accepted are: AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria), Janssen, Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech.
All documents must be in English, French, Italian or Spanish, and be issued in the country they are arriving from.
- This does not apply to military personnel.
- This does not apply to passengers younger than 6 years.
- More exemptions can be found at http://tinyurl.com/294etdv7 .
Hope that helps!
Very helpful I just had to hear it again. I did read the reply from Delta airlines but then my son was told by a lab that they didn't think the antigen was accepted, they didn't want us to run into problem. We're leaving on Sun Sept 19 so plan on taking the antigen on Sat. Thanks
It is common that many countries will not accept the Antigen tests. Molecular tests are more sensitive and can detect the virus at more stages of the disease.
However, Italy will accept either the Molecular or Antigen test. Also, do not confuse 24, 48, or 72 Hours as relating to a specific test. Yes, generally Antigen tests tend to be rapid, 15 Minutes on up, and Molecular tests require additional time, but that is mainly due to Molecular tests needing to be processed in a lab setting (as are some Antigen tests), but if the lab is on-site, you can get Molecular test results in less than 24 hours.
Same with the test when you return to the US, either Molecular or Antigen test is accepted.