Please sign in to post.

Amalfi, Positano or Praiano

My wife and I will be traveling to Italy, early Sept. At one area of our trip we will be visiting Sorrento & The AC. Sorrento for about 2.5 days to explore the city & do a day trip, maybe to pompei & Mt. Vesuvius. After, staying @ 1 of Amalfi's Coasts beautiful cliffside cities for about 3 days. The pictures I'm sure don't do them justice, but I'm sure we can't go wrong with any. I've looked at 3 in particuly, Amalfi..Positano & Praiano. So I'm inquiring to any with experience, what may be a good choice. We love great scenery and views, with our hands wrapped around a glass of wine. We do want to see "some" of the cities historical landmarks, churches & buildings also. We will than be continuing on to Rome & Tuscany.

Thank you in advance for any comments.

Posted by
15582 posts

Praiano doesn't have ferry access, so you are limited to the buses. There are two SITA bus lines, one between Sorrento and Amalfi, the other from Amalfi to Salerno. Buses can be crowded in high season and lines can be long.

Posted by
677 posts

I would pick either Positano or Amalfi, due to the ferry options. Positano is more picturesque, but Amalfi is more well connected. I like Amalfi much more, but this is based on a visit to Positano once and I have continued to go to Amalfi probably 5-10 times.

Posted by
2497 posts

I too have visited amalfi and positano. Amalfi is much better connected. I also liked it better. Positano seemed liked mostly high end shopping and steps which got old. You can easily visit positano from amalfi and vice versa. I actually thought positano was most attractive from the ferry ride to amalfi we took. It is beautiful from the water.

Beth

Posted by
7297 posts

Some issues other than beauty to consider: Room availability, room affordability, number of stairs to get around the town, number of hours available before your flight home on the last day (if applicable), desire for daytrips from the AC town (as opposed to from-Sorrento, which is well-placed for daytrips), change date for High Season to Low Season ferry schedule and SITA bus schedule, time distance from the massive vacation season of August in Europe.

Posted by
15165 posts

Praiano has no ferry, so it would be out for me.
From either Positano or Amalfi you can take a ferry to Capri even.
I like Positano a little more than Amalfi, although the latter has a beautiful Duomo. Positano is more expensive for accommodations (and it’s steeper, if mobility is an issue).

Posted by
60 posts

Thank you all for your input. My number one choice a few weeks ago was Amalfi and I think I'm going to continue with that one. The only Ferry that I would want is from Amalfi to Salerno and then catch a train to Rome. We were already taking the ferry from Naples to Sorrento.