Please sign in to post.

Amalfi March 2020

We will be visiting our son who is studying in Rome this spring. Looking for recommendations for a 3 day trip outside of Rome that we can take him. Any suggestions for Sorrento or other areas? Seems like it is difficult to find hotels in March. We have been to Venice and Florence. Thank you!

Posted by
886 posts

We made Sorrento a side trip from Rome when we were there years ago. We loved Sorrento and stayed in a hotel near the center of town and parked our rental car there while we bused to Amalfi.....let the bus drivers do the horrendous hairpin-turn drive! Sorrento was delightful but I will always regret that we missed going to Capri on a day trip. We were exhausted and took the day to sit by the pool all afternoon and read....relaxing.....but should have pushed through and made the Capri trip......when will we be able to go back and do that??! I would suggest taking the coast-bus drive and then boating back to Sorrento.......what views!

Posted by
16032 posts

I would suggest taking the coast-bus drive and then boating back to
Sorrento.......what views!

Except that the ferries will not be running along the coast in March. They do operate between Sorrento and Capri (and Naples and Capri + Sorrento and Naples) all season except when really stormy/windy weather doesn't permit.

Yes, a fair amount of businesses are closed in Sorrento during the winter and on Capri as well. How about a stay Naples with a day trip to Pompeii? You could even just take a day trip to Sorrento from there if you wished to: only an hour away from Naples via local commuter train, and only 35 mins between Naples and Pompeii. Visiting the archeological museum in Naples would be interesting after a look at Pompeii: lots of artifacts from the excavation are there. Naples would also give you an assortment of other 'inside' attractions to explore should the weather decide to be wet and chilly.

Posted by
15663 posts

I stayed in Salerno in late February to visit the AC and I loved it. The buses weren't crowded and there was little traffic. From Salerno you can day-trip by train or bus to Paestum too (Greek temples). If you want to visit Pompeii and Naples (the archaeology museum is a wow and the city other attractions) Sorrento is good. There are fast trains to Salerno.

Depends on what you most want to do.

Posted by
7529 posts

March is not an ideal time to visit Sorrento or the Amalfi Coast, nor the lakes or Dolomites. The fact that so many hotels in Sorrento is an important clue you are ignoring. (Although visiting Pompeii with no crowds while bundled up has some value.) You might reflect on what interests the family the most, and pick a more year-round expedition. Some ideas are Milan, Bologna, Tuscany, the Palladian villas of the Veneto.

As long as you’re already willing to make a 2-1/2 hour trip from Rome to Sorrento, would you consider a bargain airline trip to a nearby country?