Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast Suggestions

Hi guys. Can you please suggest best public transport from naples to amalfi ? Whether train to salerno and then ferry to amalfi from there or bus from there ? Or, direct ferry from naples to amalfi ? or bus to sorrento and then ferry/bus to amalfi ? Also, please suggest best public transport option to come in the evening and till what time will there be public transport ? I intend to leave from naples at around 10-11am.

Also, which taxi app to use in naples ? I have a 6am flight from naples to amsterdam and need to catch a taxi.

Posted by
2979 posts

If you take a ferry from Naples to Sorrento, hop on the next ferry to Amalfi. If there is no ferry service take the Circumvesuviana regional train located in Naples Centrale station on the lower level to Sorrento, the end of the line. The bus stop to Amalfi is in the cul de sac as the train station across the street that's about 30 feet away.

Posted by
7364 posts

bob, do you mean "to Amalfi, the town" or "to the Amalfi Coast"? It's your Subject Line that causes the confusion. Do you have a room booked in Amalfi town?

It's also important to know what else you are doing during the visit, although the arrival transit doesn't have that much effect on it. It's just that if (to pick a likely example) you are going to Pompeii by the cheapest means, you can "learn something about that" with certain trips from Naples to Amalfi (or to Sorrento, not on the Amalfi Coast).

BTW, you CANNOT wake up in Amalfi (or really, anywhere on the AC) on the same day you fly out of anywhere at 6AM. It's very risky to depend on such a long cab ride, from a relatively "far" (not "remote") place. It's certainly impossible by public transit. It's also an expensive cab for someone who specifies "public transport" in his OP.

The Month of the year is important.

Posted by
48 posts

hi guys. This is for tomorrow. I am staying in Naples. Want to go to amalfi coast from naples and return back in the evening.

Posted by
2979 posts

bus or ferry along the coast

Christine, when I took the bus from Amalfi to Positano to Sorrento it travelled inland not along the coast. I'm pretty sure the bus travels along the coast when traveling east only.

Posted by
6221 posts

We took bus from Amalfi to Positano, it traveled along the coast.
Past that point I have no idea

Hopefully OP will be able to use ferries

Posted by
2979 posts

We took bus from Amalfi to Positano, it traveled along the coast.

So did I but it travelled inland not along the coast and I caught the bus where I got off in Amalfi which was SS163 a.k.a. the Amalfi Coast Road. I then got off in Positano and had the exact same experience going to Sorrento. I'll tell what though it was a much quicker drive than driving east.