Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast questions

I've got a couple of transportation questions - this would be for October 2020, potentially. First, it appears that the Travelmar ferries will still be running that time of year. I'm thinking Salerno to Amalfi, and possibly also Salerno to Positano. Would it be vital to make advance reservations, or is winging it a viable option? Second, I've read that there's a footpath from Amalfi to Ravello. Anyone walked it? What's that like? Thanks!

Posted by
8102 posts

I can't answer your questions, but I think the best way to see the Amalfi Coast is on a tour with a small group in a minibus.

Posted by
847 posts

No you don't need ferry reservations, especially at that time of year. But do check next spring to be sure the ferry schedule is the same for next fall in terms of when it stops running.

Yes there is a path between Ravello and Amalfi and I did it. But I started in Ravello and walked down to Amalfi. I would never want to walk UP it. Even going down my legs felt like jelly when we were done (and I walk 9-10 miles a day for up to 35 days at a time on my European trips). But it was great scenery (best is from Ravello itself, be sure to visit the villas (there are two with marvelous views).

Unless you have serious mobility problems (or never traveled anywhere before) you do NOT need a tour for that area. Very easy to do on your own. Even if the ferries have stopped running the buses are frequent and the views from the buses (at least between Amalfi, Positano and Sorrento) are "three star" sites themselves. Buses can be crowded in high season but even in July (several different years) I've gotten seats on the 'good' side with no problem. Never made a ferry reservation even in summer.

Here's my photos - https://andiamo.zenfolio.com/p266655284

Numbers 189-207 are the views from the villas in Ravello and numbers 208-215 is the walk you are asking about.

Posted by
2480 posts

Thanks so much, Isabel! Ferry is the way to go, as far as I'm concerned. Great to know it's fine to be spontaneous with the ferries. And your pictures are most informative, as well as gorgeous.

Posted by
16409 posts

Ferry is the way to go, as far as I'm concerned - I would probably get
carsick and feel trapped in a minibus.

Exactly, There's NO way my stomach could handle a vehicle on Amalfi Coast roads either, and you absolutely don't need a tour. It's fortunate that you'll be traveling when the ferries are still running. We've done some of the coast in early Oct. and had lovely weather; are you traveling very late in the month?

Posted by
2480 posts

I'm thinking of starting the trip in late September, in Venice (want to see the Homo Faber exhibit on San Giorgio Maggiore), and working my way down, so visiting Amalfi would probably be the second week of October, at the latest. Yeah, carsickness - a few years ago, I attended a music workshop in Corsica - would have appreciated it a lot more if not perpetually queasy. At least there are other transportation choices on the Amalfi Coast.

Posted by
2088 posts

We took the public bus on the Amalfi Coast several times to get between the coast towns. It was an adventure, but not scary and the drivers know how to manage the road. For me, I get way more seasick than carsick. As Rick has written, if you do take the bus, try to sit on the side with the sea views. (We seem to be in that shrinking crowd of RS readers who prefer public transportation/β€œadventures” over tours)

Posted by
2480 posts

I'm sure the bus drivers know their stuff, and I'm not worried about plunging off a cliff. I just like being out on the water and in the open air. The ferry looks pretty fast, too - the schedule said Salerno to Amalfi was 35 minutes.

Posted by
16409 posts

No fear here of falling off the cliff either, just a lifelong battle with carsickness, especially on twisty roads. It can really spoil a day so ferries for this girl! I did get a little queasy on one from Naples to Capri but because all the seating was inside and there was a strong smell of fuel fumes. Was able to stand on a bit of back deck (in the rain but damp was better than sick) and fresh air helped.

Posted by
4836 posts

I walked from Maiori to Ravello, then to Atrani and on to Amalfi. I am a little weird in that I actually like walking uphill versus a steep downhill, which is murder on my knees. Regardless, there are path all over the peninsula. If interested in a hike, I'd check out one of the books that details all of the options (available on Amazon, or you can inquire at a tourist office). Some of the most "bang for your buck" ones are round trip out of Amalfi.

Posted by
2708 posts

I also walked down. It is quite nice. My husband and I took the bus to Ravello and it was crowded so decided to take staircase down. It was combination of stairs and a walk through small farms. In Atrani you have to find your way to the tunnel to Amalfi.

I didn’t think it was too hard down but would have been a climb up. So depends on you.

Posted by
2480 posts

Valadelphia - I'm the same way about preferring uphill to downhill, partly because of knees and partly because of not wanting to slip & fall, but Amalfi to Ravello is a mighty lot of uphill. I guess I'll play it by ear. I envision stopping to take pictures a lot anyhow.