Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast Itinerary

My parents and I are going to the Amalfi Coast and Rome in a week and a half. I have been thinking of changing around my original itinerary and would love some advice and pointers.

Day 1: Arrive in Rome catch train to Salerno
Grab lunch and walk around the city
Day 2: Get Ferry to Amalfi
Explore Amalif take bus to Ravello
Explore Villa Cimbrone
(Other option would be to do Ravello and then walk down to Minori )
Day 3: Positano and Nocelle
Hike part of Path of the Gods
Could use advice on what else to plan on this day originally wanted to hike more, but now thinking of taking that out
Day 4: Paestum
Take train to Paestum explore the ruins
Maybe go to Vietri sul Mare since it is close to Salerno (our base)
Day 5: Take morning train to Rome
Explore Rome, trevi fountain, spanish steps, etc.
Day 6: Vatican museum tickets at 2 pm
Explore trastavere in the morning or the Vatican
Day 7: Colosseum and Roman forum

I would love to have a more solid itinerary before I leave so I will appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you!

Posted by
11613 posts

Looks pretty solid to me. Make sure you leave time to visit the museum at Paestum (across the street from the archeological zone, closed Mondays).

On day 5, you might consider the Galleria Borghese (get tickets in advance). You can have a long walk through the park (look for Pincio signs), then walk down the footpath to Piazza del Popolo.

You could start or end the day with more great views from the roof of the Vittorio Emmanuele monument.

Posted by
490 posts

For 7 days...It is A LOT of buses trains and ferries...with a lot of distance between places... I would consider what type of travelers you folks are? Are you parents going to be okay with jetlag and extreme heat? This may limit how much you can pack in.

It is over 2 hours from Salerno to Positano for instance...same from Salerno to Paestum.
2 hours a day traveling from Salerno to Positano and back...plus the waiting...

I would base in Amalfi 3 nights and see Salerno/Paestum ( sleep 1 night) on day before you train back to Rome. As I understand it Rome is your arrival and departure point, so train to and from Salerno makes sense, but staying there may be too much traveling to see the A/C

Enjoy!

Enjoy!

Posted by
1949 posts

Not correct, JJ. Salerno to Paestum is 40 minutes by train, probably 1+ hours by bus.

Salerno's a good base. Should be perfect this time of year, warm and just before the hordes of tourists.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks for the help! I was thinking maybe taking a ferry to Positano and then exploring the area and making our way back to Salerno by bus stopping in Amalfi. We are pretty well seasoned travelers and dont mind the effort of a bus or ferry. I want a mix of exploring and not wasting too much time on travel but it seems inevitable on the Amalfi Coast.

Posted by
1949 posts

If you take the bus from Positano to Salerno, you will have to change buses at the hub in Amalfi, which is perfect if you're going to hang out there for a little while. Not that big of a deal, except if there are tons of tourists in which the first bus available might be full. But I'm thinking this time of year you'll be OK. And it's a fun ride--sit on the passenger side of the bus!

P.S. Never been there but friends we met in Salerno in 2015 visited Vietri sul Mare last month and loved it. It's known for its pottery. If memory serves, that's a quick 20-minute bus ride from Salerno.