Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast in February

I'm planning a trip for February of 2019 (my dates are fixed because of my work). I've read some mixed reviews on the Amalfi Coast in the off season. I like the idea of less crowds, but is it worth it? Are too many places closed?

Posted by
4767 posts

I would not put all of my eggs in one basket, so to speak. If you have any interest in Naples or Salerno, then you could stay there and if you have a gorgeous sunny day, explore the coast. You would at least see the scenery, but to me, the appeal is being there in nice weather where you can sit in the sun with a spritz, do some hiking, etc. A lot will be closed of course, but some people do live there.
Perhaps tell us what else is on the agenda and we can better advise.

Posted by
115 posts

I was there early April and many of the restaurants were opening again after being closed for the season. Stores also close, in Ravello there were several stores that weren't set up yet, one owner told us they had just opened.

Posted by
2046 posts

We've been to the A.C. twice in early March and frankly thought it was great.

Once we stayed in Salerno and took the SITA bus to Amalfi. Had lunch at the Lido Azzurro restaurant on the water and they had just opened for the season. Then a year ago March, we stayed 5 nights in Sorrento, where it was fairly lively but not completely wide open yet. Again, we took the SITA bus, this time to Positano and that was pretty much deserted. Did find a great cafe open, Li Galli Bar.

To each his/her own, but we also visited Pompei and Naples from the two above bases and thought the entire area in March was very accessible and just about perfect, especially after hearing about the logistical horror stories in high season. One caveat--weather is unpredictable--when we were there temps ranged from 45-60 and ranged from sunny to driving rain.

Posted by
15768 posts

Hi Julie, I've been to the area twice, like Jay, once in Salerno (last year) and once in Sorrento (about 6-7 years ago), only I was there in February.

When I was in Sorrento, I daytripped to Naples for the Archaeology Museum (planned to do more but spent all my time in the museum), to Herculaneum (in the rain) and to Pompeii in sunshine. I had planned to spend a night in Salerno to visit Paestum, but while I was there I found out that the day I planned for it was the feast day of Sorrento's patron saint, so I changed my plans and enjoyed exploring Sorrento and enjoying the morning processions and the evening festivities. It was low-key and lovely.

When I was in Salerno, I spent two days driving the coast and seeing some of the villages, one day seeing sights in Salerno and one day I went to Paestum (Greek temples), stopping at the Vannulo buffalo farm for a cannolo and some gelato.

Everything was open in both Salerno and Sorrento and I felt that there were more locals than tourists around. Some restaurants and shops were closed in the Amalfi coast villages, but plenty were open. Last year I planned to stay in one of them but most b&b's and hotels were closed for the season. Then Jay told me how much he enjoyed Salerno and I was very happy with that choice.