Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast for New Years 2023 / 24 - Advice / Hotels / Restaurants Please

Good Morning All - Trust you all are well. We (4) will be in Positano for this New Years (2023 / 2024) for three days. Please provide your advice for hotel, restaurants, and things to do / to see. We are also open to other cities on the Amalfi Coast for New Years too.
We will follow you. Thank you for your time and help.

Posted by
4898 posts

That area is weather- dependent for activities. If you get a lot of rain, the sky and ocean can be all grey with minimal visibility. We were just there this past May and experienced unprecedented and prolonged rains, so I know of which I speak. Good luck!

Posted by
4452 posts

Two suggestions, reach out to Elizabeth at Blue Star Boats Positano and to Nicki Positano the Youtube vlogger for advice and recommendations. There won't be much available but they will know what's up and who to contact.

Posted by
9714 posts

Actually I am pretty sure that Nicki in Positano does not provide special travel recommendations. I can't imagine how she would have the time to respond to everyone who would write her.

She probably does have lots of good resources in various videos and on her site etc.

Posted by
15872 posts

While I'll admit that I haven't been to Positano (or the Amalfi Coast for that matter) over New Year's, Positano would not be my choice for mid winter. There's little enough to do there during other seasons, and you won't have ferry service around the coast at that time of year. Your transport choices to/from Positano would be limited to SITA bus and private drivers unless you'll have a rental car, of course.

Personally, if wanting things to do and places to see, I'd consider choosing a larger base for your stay, such as Sorrento, Solarno or even Naples. There will be more restaurants and whatnot open, and you'd have the benefit of rail service to/from all of them.

This might be helpful?
https://www.positano.com/en/e/visiting-le-luci-d-artista-in-salerno
https://www.sorrentoinsider.com/en/e/christmas-in-sorrento

Rail service would be nice to have if the weather is really lousy - there's little 'inside' stuff to do in the Sorrentine/AC area - so that you could hop a train into Naples to visit the churches and museums. Even if it's NOT lousy outside, rail would be useful for spending some time at nearby Pompeii. With 4 of you, you could also book a private tour to/from the scavi from your accommodation. The site is closed on Jan 1, as are most other museums and other tourist attractions in Italy.

http://pompeiisites.org/en/visiting-info/timetables-and-tickets/

The Positano site does mention this regarding NYE in that town:
"New Year's Eve is generally celebrated on the Spiaggia Grande beach in Positano, which becomes an open air disco until dawn."
https://www.positano.com/en/e/amalfi-coast-in-december

No right or wrong if that appeals to you but, well, a full night of disco music wouldn't rock my particular barca. 🕺🏻

Posted by
4452 posts

Nicki does not generally respond to such requests, but every so often she does. Especially if you become a Patreon.

Posted by
115 posts

We were in the amalfi coast in April 2018. We stayed in praiano at La Maurella, recommended here in the forum. We loved it! Not sure how many places will be open since they told us that many places are closed during winter. In April many had just re-opened.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank You All Fellow Traveller's for your time, help, and advice. All greatly appreciated and considered.
Based on your wise advice, we have decided to change our plans and spend time in Milan and Florence for New Years.
Rome after that before heading back to USA. Thank you all again for your time and help. Please let me know if I can be of help to you in any way. Kind Regards - Tim

Posted by
4898 posts

Tim, thanks for the follow up. As crazy as it sounds, it makes our day when posters really read and consider the info shared. It's conversely frustrating when extensive energy goes into offering info, and the original poster never responds again.
Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
3 posts

Agreed and Understood.
I will let you know HOW the trip goes.
Thank you for your time and help.
Kind Regards -Tim