Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast

I will be staying in Positano for 5 nights in October and wondering, other than Capri, what places I should plan day trips to. I am not planning to rent a car and will be relying on public transportation including ferries. I have heard that Ischia is a place to get to if possible. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.
Donna

Posted by
490 posts

Nice time to go! I have been to the area many many times. I suggest traveling light and moving around. The time spend taking ferries on day trips from the coast is time and $ consuming...also later in the season not much to do or see in Positano, islands offer more. If early October could be okay.

.first of all ferry service from Amalfi, Postiano stops at the end of September, so transport is bus/train or private driver.

Ischia is amazing, four major towns lot's of sights like the Castle Aragaonese fortress....and volcanic water spas. You could do it as a day trip from Naples, and take the boat ride around the island to 4 major towns or just go to the Castle Aragonese and see Ischia Ponte ( town where the castle is).

Here is a trip I have taken in late Sept. early October...
Arrived Naples took ferry to Ischia 2 nights
Ferry to Capri DAY TRIP leave luggage check HOURS http://www.capri.net/en/capri-faq# See this for luggage storage
Late afternoon Ferry to Positano 2-3 nights

If you have an early morning flight from Naples you will have to take the bus to Sorrento and catch train to Naples Centrale then bus to airport...or hire a driver. OR stay the last night in Naples: Staying in Naples on my last night enables me to see archeological sights and Naples museums on last day, eat a nice dinner and get to the airport easily.

Posted by
15591 posts

It's a bit of a shlep, but worth it . . . ferry from Positano to Salerno, then bus or train to Paestum - wonderfully preserved Greek temples and an excellent archaeology museum. About 2.5 hours travel time each way.

And there are several places to explore on the bus route from Amalfi to Salerno. Do stop for a pastry at Sal de Riso in Minori. They are exquisite.