Please sign in to post.

Amalfi coast

Hello everyone, I am wondering what you feel would be the best month to go to the Amalfi Coast as far as weather (not too hot/raining etc.), and not as crowded (I know there will always be a fair amount of tourists any month). Also, would you feel 2 weeks would be too much time in one apartment and visiting all the little towns, islands and Naples. Thank you for your experienced responses.

Posted by
105 posts

I’m planning to go to amalfi in October . I’m quite nervous that even though that would have been considered a shoulder season in past years since it’s been warmer there last year in October it still might be quite busy. I’m hoping if I go there that it’s not shoulder to shoulder people.
Where else do you plan to go other than amalfi coast?

Posted by
4603 posts

If I was interested in devoting two weeks to the area, I would spend up to a week in Naples, up to a week on the coast, and if less in both of those places, then supplement with some time on one of the islands (3-4 days). I just don't like long day trips, and I like enjoying different restaurants/vibes at night. I also like the contrast of nature and culture you get with coast and city time individually. May would be my choice of month--into late May for island/coast time if interested in swimming.

Posted by
27400 posts

I don't think two weeks is too long if you want to go to a bunch of the classical sights (Pompeii, Herculaneum, etc.). However, there's no single base location I'd plan to stay in for two weeks if I wanted to see a lot of that area. There are probably two weeks' worth of sights in Naples, but for visiting the Amalfi Coast that's not really convenient. And I agree that spending one or more nights on the island(s) of your choice would be a lot better than day tripping in.

I spent a few nights in Salerno in March of this year and really liked it. It's also a great base for seeing Paestum. It seems it could work nicely for day trips to the Amalfi Coast, but I didn't think early March was a good time for that area (or the islands, which would not be convenient from Salerno, anyway), so I postponed the Coast and islands until a later trip in April or May.

I think the entire area could be done nicely while staying in Naples, Salerno and the island of choice. Only the island hotel would be expensive. Again, I have no experience visiting the Amalfi Coast from Salerno, except Vietri sul Mare, which is a different/easier situation, because it has a train connection from Salerno.

Posted by
2 posts

Choosing the best month to visit the Amalfi Coast depends on your preferences for weather, crowd levels, and what type of experience you want. Here are some considerations for selecting the ideal time to visit:

1. Weather:
    Late Spring (May to Early June): This is often considered one of the best times to visit. The weather is typically warm but not scorching hot, and there is less chance of heavy rain. Flowers are in bloom, and the landscape is lush.
    Early Autumn (September to Early October): Similar to late spring, early autumn offers pleasant weather with warm temperatures and less rainfall. It's a great time for outdoor activities and enjoying the coastal scenery.

2. Crowds:
    Shoulder Seasons (May-June and September-October): These months tend to have fewer tourists compared to the peak summer season. You can still enjoy good weather and avoid the largest crowds.
    Avoid Peak Summer (July and August): While summer is beautiful, it's also the busiest time, with the highest number of tourists. Accommodation prices can be higher, and popular attractions can get crowded.

3. Duration:
    Spending two weeks in one apartment while visiting the Amalfi Coast, its little towns, islands, Paestum Archaeological Site and Museum, and Naples can be a wonderful way to immerse yourself in the region and truly savor the local culture, food and lifestyle. However, whether two weeks in a single apartment is "too much" depends on your personal preferences and travel style. Here are some factors to consider:
    Advantages of a Two-Week Stay in One Apartment:
    Immersion: Staying in one place for an extended period allows you to become part of the local community, get to know the neighborhood, and build connections with locals.
    Relaxation: It offers a relaxed pace, allowing you to unwind and fully enjoy the beauty and tranquility of the Amalfi Coast without the constant need to pack and move.
    Cost-Effective: Renting an apartment for an extended stay can be more budget-friendly compared to frequent hotel or accommodation changes.
    Exploration: It provides you with the opportunity to explore the nearby towns and islands at a leisurely pace without feeling rushed.
    Considerations for a Two-Week Stay:
    Variety: While spending two weeks in one place can be enriching, it may limit your exposure to the diversity of the region. Consider breaking your stay into two parts: one week on the Amalfi Coast and one week on an island like Capri or Ischia.
    Transportation: Keep in mind that the Amalfi Coast has limited road access and can be challenging to navigate by car. Plan your transportation carefully, and use ferries and buses to get around.
    Activities: Ensure there are enough activities and attractions in the area to keep you engaged for two weeks. The Amalfi Coast offers a variety of experiences, but you might want to plan day trips to Paestum or other nearby destinations for added variety.
    Weather: Be aware of the seasonal weather patterns, as some months may be more suitable for an extended stay than others. Weather can influence your ability to explore and enjoy outdoor activities.
    Ultimately, the decision on how long to stay in one apartment comes down to your personal travel goals and preferences. If you value relaxation, deep exploration, and an immersive experience, two weeks in one apartment can be a rewarding choice. However, if you seek more variety or want to cover a broader geographic area, you might consider dividing your stay between multiple locations.