Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast

We will be on the Amafi 1st week in June. Seeking comments & advice on which town to stay in. We're a family of 5 adults who would welcome lodging and dining recommendations. We would also like to rent a small boat for a day.

Posted by
15167 posts

Positano or Amalfi are both good, especially because both have boat service, including to Capri. There are a lot of smaller villages, but since boat service is not available, I wouldn't stay there, and that is especially true if you don't have your own car. Haven't been there for a while, so I'll defer to others the suggestions for restaurants or hotels. But in the meantime you can do some searches online and see what you like in terms of accommodations. In spite of other people will probably tell you here, I like to have a car on the Amalfi coast.

Posted by
2 posts

Thx for quick response. We don't plan to rent a car. We'll be coming by train from Florence. Your thoughts on getting around. We're open to having a van and driver where it makes sense and using public transport otherwise. What r your thoughts on a day trip to Sicily?

Posted by
11316 posts

"A day trip to Sicily" is not really feasible. Sicily is like a U.S. state or even a small country. It would be like taking a day trip to Massachusetts from New York. You would have to fly, for one thing, and how to pick ONE PLACE to day trip too is mind numbing.

Instead, you might consider Paestum for the Greek ruins.

Posted by
693 posts

Wherever you decide book soon. It is a fairly busy time and options can become scarce, especially if you are not on an unlimited budget.

Posted by
11613 posts

Laurel is right about the daytrip to Sicily - it would be very difficult to find roundtrip flights in the same day that would leave you enough time to see anything of the island except the airport. Even though the flight from Napoli is little more than an hour, you have to get to Napoli from the Amalfi Coast, be at the airport early enough to go through security, fly to Catania or Palermo, and then do the whole thing in reverse on the way back. That may add several hours to the flight time in each direction.

On the Amalfi Coast, I like Praiano, but Positano or Amalfi will probably have more accommodations options and better ferry scheduling.