Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast

Curious on everyone’s opinion on the Amalfi Coast Day…driving or boating? Also, how many hours are necessary in Poistano, Amalfi and Ravello? Is there one of the towns that is the absolute MUST if you have to choose?

Posted by
88 posts

Take the bus early if coming from Sorrento-driving may age you-tight turns, narrow road. I choose Ravello for the view, and the estate garden. take the bus to Amalfi, transfer to the mini-bus to get to Ravello, and, if able, take the hike back down to Amalfi and visit the church. Give yourself a solid day.

Posted by
6991 posts

Welcome!

Private driver or ferry (when is your trip? Ferries stop running in October)
Buses would be OK if it’s not high season and that season is April thru October now so may be your only choice

Positano- a few hours
Amalfi- half a day
Ravello-at least 3/4 day if you want to see the Villas (don’t skip Villa Cimbrond-that’s where the views are)

Ravello for the views

If you are staying in Sorrento take a look at Mondo Guides-they offer affordable shared van tours of the AC
www.sharedtours.com

Questions about Amalfi Coast come up almost ever day here
Some forum searches will give you more advice and suggestions
Be sure to filter Search by
Type: Travel Forum
and
Date: 2 yrs, 1 yr, 6 months etc

Posted by
5409 posts

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/amalfi-coast-touring-september

Hopefully you don't mean driving yourself - congestion and car sickness on the curvey roads are major issues.
Time of year is important to know for best advice. Be advised that the area is a victim of its Instagram success- the realities of the crowds and congestion are never photographed.

I agree with Christine, there's a wealth of info here, just review under Italy section, and do Searches.

Have a great trip.

Posted by
4425 posts

Either way, it will be a rush to fit all the into one day. We did a 9 hours tour with Mondo Tours in April 2023 and 4.5 hours were in a car. Public transportation would be even worse. I'd spend extra and use the ferries. Having said that, we were overwhelmingly underwhelmed by Positano. Half an hour and getting a photo was more than enough. Visiting Amalfi and Ravello may be enough to fill a day. Of the three, Ravello was my favourite.

Posted by
1014 posts

Taking the ferry affords you magnificent views of the coast and the towns as you pull into dock. It’s really unbeatable, and are among my best memories of the trip. I only took the bus a couple times, and I wouldn’t want to be on one very long. Bus can be crowded, hot, the views mixed, and the whole thing can take the stuffing out of you. Give me the fresh sea air.

If you’re on a tight schedule, a few hours in any town are enough to get the gist. However, I feel like the coast gains value by spending more time there. When you’re not in a rush, you can take it all in. Of the three towns, Ravello is my top choice. Very easy to enjoy, and the views from Villa Cimbrone are beyond compare.

Posted by
3391 posts

IMHO - Ravello is the pick of the litter. The Terrace of Infinity at Villa Cimbrone is one of the most beautiful places I have seen ever. But you can see enough of Ravello in a couple of hours. I have heard that Villa Rufolo in Ravello is equally gorgeous.

In 2022, we based ourselves in Salerno and hired the owner of our B&B to drive us as far as Amalfi, with a few stops for photos along the way, plus the longer visit to Ravello. At Amalfi, we met the boat we had chartered to sail along the coast to Positano. We enjoyed the view of Positano (no desire to step into that beehive), and returned to Salerno. It was one of the best days of my life, but I don't feel the need for any more of the Amalfi coast.

https://www.blumediterraneosas.com/

https://www.salernocentro.it/en/

Posted by
2046 posts

We've been to the Amalfi Coast twice, both times in early March when it was, believe it or not, sleepy. And wonderful, by the way. Next April, we'll be there with cousins who've never been. Staying in Salerno, and through a friend who's done it gave me the contact of a reasonably-priced driver that will take us where we want for part of one day. We're thinking of beginning in Vietri sul Mare, followed by a drive on the coastal road and then lunch in Ravello. Finally, pastries at Sal De Riso Pasticceria in Minori. All places I've never been, probably start-to-finish 5 hours or so. No matter what time of year, it would be difficult-to-impossible to accomplish this via public transportation.

Posted by
7750 posts

Jay, I don't mean to put words in your mouth; But some people might mis-understand your car-and-driver plan to be a suggestion that (unlike them ...), you are reluctant or afraid to drive a curvy road, in a new BMW rental, with no guard rails! In fact, one of the main reasons to hire a driver (who is not a professional guide ... ) is so you don't have to deal with parking in places with no public parking. It's not a reflection on your driving skill at all. Of course, knowing how to get there, and knowing where the driver can play cards with his buddies while you have free time are part of it, too.