Please sign in to post.

Amalfi coast

Planning trip to Amalfi coast. Two senior couples. 6 days in the coast, flying in/out Naples. Planning Sorrento, Pompeii, Capri and Amalfi. Would like to split stay in two locations (?Sorrento/Amalfi) How should I plan the trip, and how many days at each place. Sounds like ferrys are the easiest way to get around. Thinking of ferry from Naples to Sorrento, and (?) ferry from Sorrento to Amalfi. Side trip to Pompeii from Sorrento. What would you suggest

Posted by
227 posts

My advice would be to stay in Sorrento for the entire time. You can take the train from Naples to Sorrento and once there you can visit Pompeii, Capri and the various towns along the Amalfi coast all by Ferry or bus. By staying in one location you do not spend time checking in and out of hotels and can maximize the time you have to sightsee.

Hope you have a great time.

Posted by
4112 posts

Transportation in the region is slow and frustrating, I second the idea of staying in Sorrento and making daytrips to the Amalfi Coast. You'll waste a lot of time trying to change hotels.

Posted by
83 posts

Do you have 6 full days? From Sorrento, day trips to the Amalfi Coast towns, Capri and Pompeii will be all day excursions (we used the RS Mondo tours for these). So I would likely opt to stay in Sorrento the entire time, which would allow you time for exploring the lovely town and working in side trips to each of these places.

Have fun!

Posted by
4417 posts

I am the opposite, I would prefer to get some time in a smaller place like Amalfi, if only for different scenery, different restaurants. It seems Naples is of little interest to you, so Sorrento to visit Capri and Pompeii, and Amalfi--for the Amalfi of it all--sounds good to me. Ferries do not run all year, so you need to share the month. There are also buses direct from the airport that can be quite convenient.
https://www.sorrentoinsider.com/en/ferry-schedule

Posted by
254 posts

I would stay 2 or 3 nights in Sorrento and visit Pompei from there. I don’t think Naples is a good day trip city, it’s too big, so skip it. I would do 3 or 4 nights in Amalfi or Capri. I’m doubtful you can leisurely visit Positano, Amalfi and Ravello in a day trip from Sorrento. Maybe 2 nights each in Sorrento. Capri and Amalfi. Capri looks tough as a day trip too.

Posted by
7320 posts

Month of year? Budget? Desire for beach time? Previous visits to Italy? Mobility limitations, particularly stairs? Public transit willing for Pompeii? Luxury shopping interest?

Posted by
83 posts

"I’m doubtful you can leisurely visit Positano, Amalfi and Ravello in a day trip from Sorrento."

I saw all of these charming towns in one day on a 9 hour Rick Steves Mondo tour. It was wonderful and didn't feel rushed at all. There were 6 of us in an 8 seat van, which left Sorrento at 9 am. The driver was exceptionally helpful and clearly very experienced. We had a great group of people and I'm still in touch with two of them. A great day!

Posted by
4112 posts

I don’t think Naples is a good day trip city, it’s too big, so skip
it.

I'm going to agree and disagree with Marco. Agree that 1 day in Naples isn't enough, but it's better than nothing. The Archeological Museum helps tie together what you'll see in Pompeii. And Naples is a city like no other I've been to and needs to be experienced. You may love or or you may hate it, but it is an experience. We visited the museum in the morning and did a Mondo Tour in the afternoon.