Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast

What is the best way to see the Amalfi Coast? Is it by bus or by boat?

Posted by
2876 posts

It depends. Let's say you make Sorrento your home base. You'd go to Pompeii or Naples by train, Positano by bus, Capri (of course) by boat, Amalfi town & Ravello by a combination of bus and boat. In other words, if you want to see it all, you're going to use a combination of modes.

Posted by
215 posts

We prefer the ferry over the bus, but if it is your
first time I would use each one way so that you get
both views.

Posted by
689 posts

We drove from Sorrento to Paestum one day. Then we took the ferry round trip another day, stopping in Positano and Amalfi to explore. We stayed in Massa Lubrense

Posted by
306 posts

Both, take the bus to Amalfi and then the boat back to Sorrento.

Posted by
1170 posts

Ferry is more direct and much faster than bus. Of course you won't get the stunning views or the experience of driving along that piece of real estate by taking the ferry.

Posted by
340 posts

We think the best way is to hire a private driver for the day. You have the flexibility of stopping when and where you like. The best part is having a local guide to share colorful stories, history and answer questions. We splurged on this rather than a 45 minute gondola ride in Venice - well worth it! If you split the cost by 2 - 4 people it's isn't really that much for an 8 hour tour. PM me for referrals, if you like.

Posted by
529 posts

I love going by boat. Looking up at the amazing towns clinging to the cliffs and looking down into that beatiful water Then the excitement as you approach your destination. The best for me.