Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast

We have five days to spend on the Amalfi coast. The plan is to spend three nights in Sorrento so we can spend one day on Capri and another day touring Pompeii/Herculaneum (can we can do both in one day? - there is a tour that takes you to both - not sure if that's sufficient time for both). The last two nights would like to spend somewhere along the Amalfi coast exploring Positano, Amalfi, and the other towns. Any suggestions as to where to stay the last two nights?

Posted by
906 posts

The classic, Positano. FYI You can do Capri from Positano

Posted by
3603 posts

Having been to both Pompeii and Herculaneum, I would say that while it may be possible to see the two in a single day, for me it would be overload; and I love archaeology and ancient history. You can visit one of them for half a day and explore Sorrento for the rest of the day. Do the other another half day. Capri is definitely takes most of a whole day. However, the last boat back to Sorrento leaves fairly early - - 6? - - so you can do more walking around in the evening. Positano doesn't need even a half day, unless you enjoy seeing one shop after another hawking wares to tourists. Amalfi has good transportation connections to the other towns; and for that reason, we stayed there. Ravello is my favorite of all, with its charming small cathedral and two beautiful villas and gardens.

Posted by
15593 posts

Consider visiting the National Archaeology Museum in Naples.. . . most of the art (mosaics, frescoes, etc) that was found in the destroyed cities "lives" there. A lot of what you see "in situ" are copies. Allow at least 2 hours for your visit. You can get there by metro from the train station and you can store luggage at the station, so you could visit when you go through Naples on the way to or from the AC.

With 2 nights, you have only about a day and a half to explore. Amalfi is probably the most central and the end of the bus lines - one toward Positano/Sorrento, the other to Salerno, and the only bus up to Ravello.

Posted by
889 posts

First off, you've got the right idea by splitting up your stay and five nights is enough to manage. You can totally do Pompeii and Herculaneum in a day, with a solid lunch break in between the two. Try to do Pompeii as early as possible, by noon it is awash with people. Herculaneum stays open pretty late, you can avoid the heat and crowds in the late afternoon. I consider both of these sites equally worth seeing, they're quite different from each other. Obviously, not sure what your guided tour entails.

You don't mention Naples, and I seriously suggest carving out a half-day for it at least. It's an amazing, fairly overwhelming place, but it delivers. It's like no other city I've been to, and has top-notch museums and art. It may not be your cup of tea, but it deserves a chance. Don't be intimidated.

I took the RS suggestion of treating Capri as a stopover on the way to Amalfi, and I thought it ideal. If you take one of the first ferries from Sorrento, you beat the crowds and have plenty of time to see the island. There's a place you can leave your luggage at the marina. I'd also recommend the 1hr boat tour around the island. It was very enjoyable and I did not mind that the Blue Grotto was closed at the time.

Where to stay is a tough question. Positano is by far the most scenic, I would have like to have explored it in the evening after the day-trippers leave. I thought Amalfi was rather moribund. I stayed in Atrani, a quick walk from Amalfi and would recommend it. Amalfi's big advantage is the transport connections, and it's significant. Ravello is another real highlight, and the ease of getting there from Amalfi is helpful. It's all pros and cons, but you can't go too wrong here. The key to everything in this region is to get an early start. Enjoy, it's the most beautiful place I've been.

Posted by
1829 posts

I agree with the poster above that I think it may be the most beautiful place I have been as well!

We stayed 3 nights in Sorrento and then 4 nights in Positano
I thought for a first visit that was perfect, preferred Positano though was also the more relaxed portion.

When we return some day we won't need to stay as long but would return to Positano definitely. Maybe 2 nights Positano and 2 nights on Capri for a return trip. I think there would be some benefits to seeing Capri after all the day trippers leave.

Anyway to your question, I would recommend Positano for your last 2 nights.
If you are flying out of Naples ; I thought the cost for a private driver from Positano hotel directly to the airport was reasonable and a nice luxury to end the trip.

Posted by
973 posts

Although small, Positano grabbed our hearts. We did love wandering in the stores and purchasing some beautiful watches and rings. We loved the afternoons on the beach and the evenings with that VIEW with the day trippers gone. It has to be at a leisurely pace to enjoy it, not a fast afternoon.

Posted by
15829 posts

I'll be the odd man (or woman) out here and toss around the idea of 3 nights Sorrento, 1 night Capri and 1 night Naples. Capri, IMHO, is a different place in the early mornings and evenings before/after the day-tripping hordes have arrived/gone. I don't know if I would have enjoyed it as much had we only spent a day there.

Spending a night in Naples would allow you to do Pompeii and Herculaneum en route (both sites have luggage storage) and the archeological museum the next morning before continuing onward.

Positano didn't really grab us: nice for a few hours but not much to do, and we preferred being on a train line for quicker access in and out of the region. Then again, we don't travel to relax - figure we can do that at home! - but lots of folks do. If you're looking just to kick back for awhile, then it might be your kind of place. :O)

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I think we'll stay overnight in Capri. Is it better to stay in Capri or Anacapri?

Posted by
15829 posts

Is it better to stay in Capri or Anacapri?

Oh gosh, I think it's a horse apiece, really. We stayed in Capri but could cheerfully have chosen Anacapri. We took an early bus up there one morning and enjoyed a a very nice wander about before things got busy. The cemetery, BTW, is really lovely: we quietly watched some of the locals come by with fresh flowers (they were everywhere!) for their loved ones on their way to work or school. In fact, that is a favorite memory: the grandmother who chatted busily away in Italian to (I'm sure) her husband while she arranged his blooms, and who dropped an affectionate kiss on his marker before hobbling away.

We had the great gift of an unexpected upgrade to a room overlooking the sea. What riches! Instead of a restaurant dinner, we got a to-go pizza from Aurora, a couple bottles of Moretti from the market, and had a picnic on the floor, in front of open French doors, to drink in the view. LOL, someone (probably some tourist with a 110 voltage hairdryer) blew all the fuses just as we were getting started so we dined by flashlight! :O)

To add: we skipped the Blue Grotto completely, and neither of us has regret for that decision.