Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast

My husband and I are doing the Italy My Way tour in September. We finish the tour on Sept. 22 and plan to head to the Amalfi Coast for 3 nights. We want to go to the Amalfi Coast to relax, and enjoy the water and scenery. We do not want to be going from town to town while we are there, just one place to get a great feel for the Amalfi Coast and all of it's beauty. We are thinking of staying in Capri, but have heard that ferries may not run if the sea is rough and we are afraid to make reservations and not be able to get to the island. We are looking for recommendations regarding if Capri is the place to stay or if you recommend another place that is relaxing with hotels that will have great views of the water. We are looking at no more then 350 euros a night. If you can recommend town and hotels that would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

Posted by
4326 posts

I would not worry too much about ferry cancellation for that time of year--yes, it can happen anytime, but I don't think it is a big enough risk to base a trip around it. Read the recent article about Capri from the NYT--it is ostensibly about overcrowding and plastic bans but it actually gives great suggestions for avoiding crowds on the islands. I'd stay in Anacapri.
However, if you are looking to stay put and not do day trips to Pompeii, etc., any town/village on the Amalfi coast will suit. I would look at accommodations and see what calls to you.

Posted by
7270 posts

steph, do think carefully about departure day. Almost any good answer to your question would make sleeping in or near the A.C. the night before a flight home (to the U.S.?) impossible. Even Naples can take some time to get to - although Capri has direct ferries.

It is very important to make a commitment to your statement "not want to be going from town to town", if that's your intent. Even a day trip to Pompeii could be long and multi-seat (unless you pay a few hundred Euro for a car and driver.) When you choose a town, you're making that decision.

Honestly, few people mean "Capri" when they write "AC" on this newsboard. Capri is very, very pretty, but it's expensive and hard to book less than six months in advance. Have you looked into it in detail? It's very rocky, and it could be a big trip, partly pedestrian-only, from your hotel to any possible beach - which may be pebbles, not sand. (We didn't go to a beach on either of our days on Capri.) Much of the AC has only pebble beaches, and the water can be cold. Some lovely towns, like Ravello, are far from any beach. Also check how you get from transportation to your hotel, I mean "the last half-mile." Even ritzy Positano has hundreds of stairs to some areas.

I'm not trying to talk you out of anything. I just think that your OP suggests that you may not know the details of your destination! Unlike your plan, daytrips were our main plan, so we stayed in busy Sorrento. (You still can't fly back to the U.S. from Rome after a night in Sorrento, despite it having the "last" rail station. And a line that doesn't go to Rome, at that.)

Posted by
2 posts

I was just on the Amalfi Coast 3 weeks ago. I would stay in the town of Positano, which is where I stayed.
Theres a city center with plenty of shopping and restaurants. I stayed at L'Ancora in Positano and it was a great location, you could walk to everything you wanted and they have a breakfast buffet which is included in the room price.
If you wanted to venture out there's the Sita bus that will take you to Amalfi or Ravello.

Posted by
163 posts

Just something to consider if you're going to be simply relaxing in one place. I get sunburn pretty easily. I've stayed in several places on the AC and they all face south and are drenched in sunlight all day long. So if you're a burner like me, make sure there will be some shade available (umbrellas work by the pool). On the other hand, in Sorrento, you face north and there are lots of beautiful spots that look across the Bay of Naples to Vesuvius that are in full shade all day.

Posted by
15579 posts

I've stayed in Sorrento and Salerno. For what you're looking for, I recommend Salerno. It has a historic center, it's on the Amalfi Coast, you can get there by fast train from Rome, it's mostly level, it has a large sandy beach and a long seafront promenade. You can take the ferry and/or SITA bus along the coast and enjoy the stunning natural beauty, which is the main attraction in the area. The most scenic part of the AC is from Salerno to Positano and Salerno is the terminus for both buses and ferries. There are some fine restaurants in Salerno and it's the cheapest place to stay (both food and lodging). In 10-15 minutes you can walk from the edge of the centro storico to the train/bus station or the promenade, the beach (maybe another 5 minutes).