Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast

hi everyone, i need a bit of help. any suggestions for a week long itinerary to the amalfi coast? i will be traveling in April. i plan to fly into naples arrive a sunday morning. depart naples the following saturday. this is what i planned to do...

1. take train to sorrento (any ideas how long it would take? or cost?)
  2. bus to amalfi (again any ideas how long it would take? or cost?)
  3. returning to naples would be the same way?
  4. ideas where to stay? i'm not looking for the ritz or anything flashy, just a good solid hotel.
  5. any other town better to make base camp?
  6. any other ideas or suggestions?

i am new to this region of italy and don't really know much about it except what i read and see online. it looks nicer than cinque terre, but i'm affraid it will be more expensive given all the logistics getting there. also, is there much to do other than relax? can you go to naples for the day and back easily? can you walk to towns like CT? i don't want to make camp and feel i will not be able to move around much.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by
649 posts

Thomas

Suggest you take train to Sorrento and make that your base. From there you can take a ferry to Capri for a day and explore. You can take the bus to Amalfi and then a bus to Ravello for the day and then a ferry back to Sorrento.

We drove to Sorrento so cannot comment on the cost of the train to Sorrento but it is not much.
You can take the train to Pompeii for a day as well -minimal cost

The only other suggestion would be to stay in Positano 1/2 way between the 2. However there is not as much to do in Positano.

You will love this area and in April early May the weather will be lovely.

I do have a reccommendation for hotels if you want to private reply.

Posted by
5 posts

Hey Thomas,

Can you please give a slight idea on whats your budget and what is the duration of the trip that you are planning..? it will be easier to suggest something good!

regards,
Soumyata

Posted by
3597 posts

The Amalfi Coast is expensive, but IMO much more beautiful and more interesting than the CT. What to do? Pompei and/or Herculaneum, villa gardens (2) in Ravello, lovely small cathedrals in Amalfi and Ravello, Greek ruins at Paestum. Positano is probably very nice (and expensive),if you're staying there; but there's not much to do but window-shop, otherwise. I don't think you can walk between the towns, but you can take boats. Warning: the Emerald Grotto is one of the worst tourist traps I've experienced. Don't waste your money. DO eat great food and drink limoncello. Da Gemma in Amalfi and Trattoria Cumpa Cosimo in Ravello.

Posted by
212 posts

I have a great recommendation for an agriturismo in Furore, it is not one of the more touristy towns, but still has stunning views of the coast and is really very reasonable. It is family run, with everything they serve homemade/grown. Let me know, if you like I can send you the contact info for them. Cost is about 50 Euro per person per night, including breakfast and full dinner.