Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast

We will be flying into Naples and then spending four nights in the Amalfi Coast area and the fifth night we will be staying in Naples as we have to fly out early morning to head to Greece. We planned on staying in Sorrento and then we would like to make our way around the coast ending in Salerno where we thought we would spend the last two nights. We will not have a car and want to see some of the main sites such as Capri, Pompii, Positano, we had planned to do a little hiking as well. Of course we want some time to just wander. Any suggestions on best order in which to see these things and the best way to get around. I have done some research and it looks like it is a slow bus ride from one place to the next. I just want to make sure I have realistic expectations when planning. Without the great train system in that area it makes things a little more challenging.
Thanks for all your help.

Posted by
6788 posts

In this case a slow bus ride is not a bad thing. You will enjoy the views (try and grab a seat on the coast side - not easy to get sometimes - helps if you are among the first on the bus, so best plan is to line up early for the bus' origin, presumably at Sorrento). Unless you go off season (and there isn't much of an off season) the road will probably be quite busy with traffic, minor snarls, and generally moves slowly.

Posted by
4353 posts

I'd spend more more time reading up on each place and decide where you feel most drawn to spending the night. Whether to split the nights or do it all from one place is really just a personal preference, but many people do day trips from Sorrento. But then if you are more interested in Capri or the Amalfi coast, you could work in a stopover at Pompeii en route back to Naples.
Time of year does determine suggestions though.

Posted by
4353 posts

Then ferries will still be running. One thing I would consider is what you will be doing in Greece -- to balance out the trip. If for example, it's chilling on an island, then I might consider spending more time in Naples because there you could never run out of things to do.
If you only have four nights, I would not devote two to Salerno. It's a nice city, but it has nothing on Naples for excitement nor anything on the Amalfi Coast villages for natural beauty. You will need to devote ample time to a village if you wish to hike. It's a tough part of planning a trip to this area--deciding what to leave out!

Posted by
6041 posts

If you are interested in visiting Paestum then Salerno works but otherwise it is too far from the places you did mention- Capri, Pompeii, Positano- those are all easy day trips from Sorrento.
If Paestum is must then you could do 3 Sorrento- 1 Salerno- train from there back to Naples.
Otherwise I'd just stay in Sorrento- 1 day for Capri, 1 for Positano/hiking - get there by bus/return by ferry or vice versa, and 1 day for Pompeii.
Spend your last day/night in Naples visiting the Archeological museum

Posted by
1829 posts

The public transit is not the problem in the region you are talking about
It is actually fully covered by bus plus a ferry service assuming weather is ok when you go in October

The problem is the crowds (overcrowding of said buses).

Agree with no reason to change the base from Sorrento to Salerno
Distance wise it makes no sense unless you are doing a full day in Paestum or have a must see in Salerno

I would prefer to stay in Positano BUT for logistically reasons/day trips Sorrento is a better base