Please sign in to post.

Amalfi coast

Trying to decide between positano and amalfi in September ! We have left it very late to book and only accom left is very expensive in positano. Any good accommodation recommended in amalfi town. For 2 adults ? Hoping for central and not over the top in price. We also have a car to consider Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted by
907 posts

I would get rid of the car in Sorrento. In fact you might want to stay in Sorrento and day trip the coast. Hire a car and driver with the rental car money you save, or take the taxi. For a real experience take the public bus.

Posted by
490 posts

I would seriously itemize the places you want to visit....I stayed in Positano for two nights and saw towns from there....and it was enough time for me...Sorrento makes the most sense for budget travel...and you can get to Capri from there easily too...

You do not want a car...trust me. It is all terraced and ridiculous...and impossible to park...

Good luck

Posted by
703 posts

we stayed in sorrento ,amalfi and had a day trip to positano in early may. (2017) the towns were extremely busy then. believe people when they say parking is not an option along the coast. locals are even lucky to find a park and often park many hundreds of metres along the roads away from the towns ( as the parking is very costly and non existent.) sorrento would be your best option, being much larger and parking 'could' be possible.

hope this helps.

Posted by
1018 posts

I just came from Amalfi coast and here are my hot takes. Amalfi itself feels overrun and beat-down, every restaurant feels like a tourist trap and probably is. Positano is beyond beautiful, and if I were choosing between the two I would stay there. I think Airbnb is your best option in this region. I actually stayed in an Airbnb in Atrani, a super-quick and easy walk from Amalfi, and it was awesome. It's a cute, authentic town with all the convenient travel connections just around the bend in Amalfi. Beware accommodations that aren't quite in the towns, they can often be on steep hillsides with limited access via car or bus. Enjoy, it may be crowded but I would go back in a second!