Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast

Hello- I will be going to the Amalfi Coast Area this July with my family. I would like to take my parents somewhere for a day trip but they are older and do not get around as easily these days. We are based in Sant Agata. I was wondering if anyone can make suggestions for a nice day trip- maybe to Ravello or a great winery in the area. I am thinking of getting a private car.

Posted by
11133 posts

So much of the Amalfi Coast is filled with steep steps but Ravello is flat and also very beautiful. The views from up there are beautiful. If they have trouble walking I think a private driver and time in Ravello with it’s beautiful views would be best for them.

Posted by
7269 posts

A rental car is not a good idea, because of SAVAGE high-season traffic, narrow two-lane roads, and virtually non-existent parking. Even off-street (pay) lots will be in short supply in July. Many people order a car and driver from their hotel's land-arrangement partner, or a company recommended (say ... ) by Rick Steves.

Assuming your parents CANNOT do the steep but 100% PAVED hill-walk down to Sorrento (1.5 hours) from Sant' Agata, and the SITA bus back up, I would just take the same bus to Sorrento. Most people prefer, say, Positano. But Positano has HUNDREDS of STEPS. Sorrento is flat, and has nice enough views from the clifftop downtown.

I don't think it's a big winery area, but people often mention Mozzarella factories.

Posted by
792 posts

I have used Amalfi Coast Destinations for day trips on two occasions and loved it. They can tailor the trip to what you want but both times we did sort of a "highlights" of the Amalfi Coast with a wine tastings and lunch. It made it much easier on my mom who also has a tough time walking around.

Posted by
115 posts

I was there in early April and used a wonderful car service that was referred to me. They are located in Praiano, Gennaro Risposi our driver was Rosario gennarorispoli@gmail.com if you'd like to get connected and ask them any questions.

Enjoy your trip. It's so beautiful there, it was one of my favorite areas.

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you for the advice. My plan is to hire a driver to take us from Sant Agata and we will travel to Ravello to see the town and gardens. Next, we will go to the town of Amalfi and see the cathedral and town. I am hoping to have lunch somewhere in Amalfi. Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in Amalfi? Moderately priced- fun/maybe on the water?

Posted by
1944 posts

We had lunch in Amalfi at Lido Azzurro in March 2015. It was right on the water and it was their first day open for the season. Have no idea how it will be in July. The prices and quality of fare were very good and the views were spectacular.

Posted by
39 posts

While in Positano, my husband and I hired Daniele DiPalma- owner of Wine tour- Amalfi Coast. He was fantastic! Took us to Amalfi, Ravello, a private lunch with wine tasting, and to the winery. It was pricey but well worth the money to have a relaxing private tour.