Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast

Planning a trip for September/October. I've heard such glowing reports of the amazing Amalfi Coast. I watched RS's video on the drive along the coast and wondered about getting motion sickness from the curvy windy roads. Seems that motion sickness would be an even greater problem if riding in one of those crowded buses, but a private taxi like Rick took, would be very expensive.

Posted by
1446 posts

Debbie, I can't comment on the Amalfi Coast because I haven't been there yet but you might consider those acupressure wrist bands if motion sickness tends to be a problem for you. They work great for me. My pregnant co-worker even used them recently for morning sickness and they worked well. It would be a shame to miss the Amalfi Coast so you might consider an inexpensive remedy like that.

Posted by
2876 posts

If you're susceptible to motion sickness, definitely bring wrist bands or motion-sickness medicine (Bonine is a good one - it doesn't make you sleepy like Dramamine) to Amalfi with you, because sooner or later you're liable to be in a boat too. For example, to visit Capri.

Posted by
712 posts

Debbie,

I don't suffer from motion sickness so the drive down the Amalfi coast (via the bus) didn't bother me, but wtith the curves and the speed, I could forsee some issues for people who have a tendency to get sick. for me, it was more dealing with heights. If I were you, I would just take the necessary precautions. But it's certainly a must-do so it's worth the extra steps taken to keep you from getting sick. Also, our bus was full but it's not like a commuter bus we use to get to work everyday, more like a tourist bus, so plenty of room and big comfy seats. Sit on the passenger side of the bus going down the Amalfi Coast and on the driver's side on the way back up.

Posted by
9 posts

Just back. Family and I rented an automatic in Rome and I drove the Amalfi Coast. We stopped at a few of the towns with parking lots and had great experience. I too watched the video many times, and there are areas that only a bus can maneuver. As the driver I wish that I could just stared out the window, but it's not a bad road. I have drove up highway 1 in California and in the mountains of Virginia and North Carolina which were much more treacherous. If you drive, just take it slow and allow those speedy Italians to pass and enjoy.

Posted by
1170 posts

I would recommend hiring a driver for a day, if you can afford it. I drove the road myself, but unless you have nerves of steel (I do) then I would not recommend driving it yourself. The trouble with buses, if you tend to get queasy, is that you sit up high, and you can peer straight down right over the edge which you are driving right up against. In a car, you are sitting closer to the ground and have your view downward partially obstructed by the meager "guardrail".

Posted by
3551 posts

I took bus on amalfi coast and had no prob. But you could consider taking ginger tablets avail at Italian pharmacies. I needed them for hydrofoil ride to Capri from Sorrento & it worked great!.

Posted by
2 posts

I have been to the Amalfi coast twice and the bus sickness was an issue for me partic as I travelled from Amalfi to naples by bus to catch the train back to Rome I thought I was going to die!!! Best option is to travel around islands on the boats you can catch them fom the harbours in Amalfi and Positano I am not sure about Sorrento. This is the best way to get around and the scenery is spectacular... I also found that the roads were so blocked with traffic in Sept that it was hair raising it seems to take forever to get anyswhere as it is just one lane ... I didnt have motion sickness tablets so that could help!!!! I based myself in Positano and Amalfi and you can see a lot from these two towns and it was quieter yhan Sorrento and more authentic sally