Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast

I am wondering what was your favorite spot to visit there? I am staying in Sorrento as a base, and planning on Capri, Pompeii, Amalfi and Ravello, but I was wondering if there is some place that I am missing, that was a favorite. Just looking for suggestions... Thanks!

Posted by
125 posts

We stayed in Sorrento for 5 days, visited Capri, Amalfi, Ravello , Pompeii, and do not forget Positano. If we were to do it again, we would have visited Pompeii on our way back to Rome, rather than branch out from Sorrento. Be sure to visit Atrani when you are in Amalfi, it's a nice walk up some stairs over the hill into town. It's about a 10-15 min walk..easy.

Posted by
69 posts

This is great information, thanks everyone! I appreciate it :) I welcome any tips or info you have to offer me. This is my first trip to Italy and I leave in a little over 2 weeks. thanks again!

Posted by
204 posts

Take the bus to Positano from Sorrento. and then take the 4E ferry from there to Amalfi and see the spectacular coastline. in Amalfi take the bus up to Ravello a great winding ride and Ravello is lovely.We stayed in both Sorrento and Positano. and the later gets my vote for views. I agree with the other poster to see Pompeii on your way back to Naples or Rome. You would have to store your luggage and I am not sure if there is an area at the Pompeii stop that will allow you to do that. Whatever you do don't try to see to much in a short period take your time and enjoy.

Posted by
212 posts

I agree that Positano should not be missed. Save your Euros and splurge on some of the wonderful sandals or clothes from the Positano Moda line. They do make some really lovely and unique pieces.

Posted by
689 posts

We found the tiny villages on the tip of the pennisula to be great fun. Nerano and Terino (spelling???)are small Nerano has a nice little beach. There is a beautiful shaded park between the two with tables and grills.

Posted by
340 posts

Colleen, When you go to Capri be sure to take the single seat chair-lift from AnaCapri to the mountain/hill top if the weather is nice. A fun and relaxing ride, it was not as scary as I thought it might be, and amazing views going up and down. The little restaurant at the top is a good place for a drink or snack.

Posted by
689 posts

Thanks Linda! Yes, Termini is the other village!!!

Posted by
22 posts

Colleen, do not miss Positano! I actually stayed there as a base a couple of years ago, and the town was marvelous. There are things beyond the shops near the duomo and the beach that aren't to be missed. The SITA bus stop above the town is a wonderful place for a photo op.

Posted by
125 posts

Re: storing luggage in Pompeii

If I remember correctly from another thread there is a place for luggage at the train station in Pompeii and another at the visitors' center at Pompeii where you buy tickets and enter the grounds.

Posted by
125 posts

After our vist to the Blue Grotto on Capri, we took the bus back up the hill to Anacapri. From Piazza Vittoria ( the main square ) at the top of the steps, head right, where you can follow a pedestrian walkway to the end for some spectacular views of Capri and Marina Grande. We walked down the stairs back to the Marina, it's all downhill, but very steep at times, but it was one of the best walks with a view anywhere I've seen. It was one of the highlights of our visit to the Sorrento Area. If you are up to it, I highly reccomend this "FREE" walk back down to the marina. The views are incredible. Maybe a 30 min walk back to the marina, a bit more when you take pictures, as we did.

Posted by
586 posts

After the Blue Grotto...presuming you have the boatman drop you at the little dock next to the cave, to head upstairs to catch the bus to Anacapri--stop at the small bar at the top of the steps, overlooking the sea--especially if it's a really hot day! The couple who own the bar, the man is Italian and the woman American, and I have to say, the ICE COLD bottled water there was a little taste of the USA on a scorching hot day. The only thing more refreshing we've experienced in Italy is the chilled Preseco and the gelato. They're nice people to talk to, as well.

Posted by
69 posts

Thanks everyone! I am definitely including Positano in my trip and look am looking into traveling to Termini also. I will also include Anacapri. I feel so overwhelmed but very excited! A little over a week to go!