Please sign in to post.

Amalfi coast

Is May a good time of year to see Amalfi coast? We would like to go at a less crowded time, but still have pretty good weather.

Posted by
344 posts

I would think so. Cool to enjoy the towns and hills, but not so cold that you cant take a dip in the sea.
I think I like southern Italy best of all the places we were at on our trip. Sorrento was a great home base.

Posted by
187 posts

Terri my husband & I spent 4 nights in Sorrento this past May 22 - 26 & it was very nice weather. We have been to Italy twice & both trips in May because of weather & thankfully it was mostly perfect except for a couple of days.

Posted by
655 posts

Terri...You have described May. It is exactly the timing that you are looking for. Later in the season it becomes very crowded with Italian families on holiday. We visited Positano in May - loved it.

Posted by
6788 posts

We were there in April & May a few years ago. Weather was generally good (rainy a few days but more days sunny, warm but not oppressively hot). However, it was still quite crowded. I suppose the crowds are probably worse at other times, but expect there still to be lots of other people there.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks! How many days does it take to see Amalfi coast?

Posted by
344 posts

I would say 3 to 5 if you also do a day of Pompeii and Mt.V. Day trip to Amalfi or further, one for Sorrento and one for Nurano or other small fishing towns. Also you will need one day for Capri.

Posted by
32202 posts

Terri, I visited the Amalfi Coast in May of this year with a RS Tour, and the weather was wonderful - basically sunny and hot! However I don't think you'll be able to avoid the crowds, as that's somewhat the "peak" of spring shoulder season.

Happy travels!

Posted by
63 posts

My wife and I just got back from a week in Sorrento last month and the weather was great. The tour group we were with went on a bus and boat tour of the Amalfi coast. The bus went as far as Positano and then we got on a boat to Amalfi where the bus met us and took us back to Sorrento over the mountain. If you do take a bus tour then try to sit on the right hand side of the bus. That's where the views are.

Posted by
64 posts

Terri,

You asked how long to spend in the Amalfi area. We just got back. Had 6 nights and 5 full days in Sorrento and I still don't think we had enough time. There is just so much to see and do. Then of course my husband wanted down time to relax by the pool (after all it was supposed to be "vacation"). Remmber when planing your stay and activities that it takes time to get to and from places. Tours are more expensive but might be useful. We wanted to go to Paestum to see the Greek ruins. Didn't read the tour schedule correctly and missed the tour. It took a whole day to get from Sorrento to Naples to Paestum and back. But, it was worth it.

Debby