Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast

This is our plan for middle of June: tell me if you think is doable.
Take bus from Sorrento (we have a hotel there) to Amalfi. After one hour or so, take bus or taxi to Ravello. After another hour there, take the ferry to Positano and again after spending another hour there, take the bus to Sorrento. Thanks for your advise.

Posted by
7419 posts

The locations are doable in one day, but you need to buffer all of those times quite a bit. First, you will be in a popular tourist area, so many other people will want to be in the same locations. Even time to wait for a bus, or the next bus if the first one is full will add extra time. Ravello is hardly an hour stop unless you’re just doing a quick circle walk and getting back in queue for a bus, missing the breathtaking gardens/villas. Plan at least a couple of hours plus, at each location, and this isn’t even considering the extra time you will want to linger over lunch and enjoy the atmosphere.

Posted by
48 posts

I don't think that you have allowed for enough time. The bus from Sorrento to Amalfi travels the picturesque coast amid heavy traffic and reportedly is not very fast. Amalfi could take easily take a couple of hours, particularly if you tour the Duomo, more if you also visit either the paper or city museum. Ravello, by itself could easily take 3 hours. Traveling thence to Positano would likely take an hour, longer if you took the ferry from Amalfi to Positano. Positano will probably be crowded and could take three hours. In my opinion, the ambience of Amalfi, Ravello and Positano are to be savored, not rushed.

Posted by
972 posts

do a day trip to Amalfi with Rick Steves recommended sharedtours.com --- seems easier -- we loved our tour with them.