Please sign in to post.

Amalfi and Dalmatian Coast - Summer 2024

I'm planning a trip for my husband (39) and me (37) for this summer. We have 16 days - June 22 to July 7 - and are planning 1 week through the Amalfi Coast and the 2nd week on the Dalmatian Coast. We are active but I know I'm trying to fit a lot in a short time, with only 1-3 nights each. Current itinerary is below. Any thoughts, specifically on if the nights in Capri and Korcula, are worth the extra stops?

• Saturday, June 22, 2024: Arrive Naples Evening Overnight: Naples
  • Sunday, June 23, 2024: Overnight: Naples
  • Monday, June 24, 2024 Naples -> Amalfi/Ravello/Positano Overnight: Positano
  • Tuesday, June 25, 2024 Amalfi/Ravello/Positano Overnight: Positano
  • Wednesday, June 26, 2024 Amalfi/Ravello/Positano Overnight: Positano
  • Thursday, June 27, 2024 AM Ferry to Capri Overnight: Capri
  • Friday, June 28, 2024 AM Ferry to Sorrento Overnight: Sorrento
  • Saturday, June 29, 2024 Sorrento Overnight: Sorrento
  • Sunday, June 30, 2024 Sorrento -> Split AM flight Overnight: Split
  • Monday, July 1, 2024 Split Overnight: Split
  • Tuesday, July 2, 2024 Split -> Hvar AM (ferry :50 to 1:15) Overnight: Hvar
  • Wednesday, July 3, 2024 Hvar Overnight: Hvar
  • Thursday, July 4, 2024 Hvar -> Korcula AM (ferry 1:15 to 1:45) Overnight: Korcula
  • Friday, July 5, 2024 Korcula -> Dubrovnik AM Ferrry Overnight: Dubrovnik
  • Saturday, July 6, 2024 Dubrovnik Overnight: Dubrovnik
  • Sunday, July 7, 2024 Travel Home
Posted by
5409 posts

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/2-week-itinerary-in-may-rome-amalfi-coast-napoli-florence-venice

In the above post, there was extended discussion regarding using Positano as a base, the effects of weather on the ferry schedules, and the frustration and challenges of moving about in the AC. Perhaps you'll find some helpful info. How are you planning to travel thru the AC? Do you already have lodging?

You've obviously done a lot of research and planning. I'm sure you're excited. Have a great trip!

Posted by
1014 posts

All these one/two night stays… there’s just so much traveling. Every time you’re changing locations, especially in these areas you’re just losing hours and energy. They’re not clockwork regions. It’s also going to be crowded and HOT. I don’t envy you here. I’d just love to see something get adjusted. In a way, having been to both these areas my best advice might be to pick a country and stay there. They could both use at least couple more days imo. Either way, accommodations are sure to be tight. I would start looking at this now if you haven’t already.

If airfare is locked in then:
Do not bother staying the night in Capri, a daytrip is plenty. Perhaps rearranging the days a little in Italy would work. If you went straight to Sorrento when you landed, you could do 3 nights there, 3 nights Positano, then your last night in Naples where you’ll be flying out. That feels better to me.

Loved Korcula, but I would add that night to Hvar for 3 nights there. Dubrovnik is going to be super crowded and hot for the short time you’re there. At the end of a long trip it might feel particularly wearying. I wouldn’t add onto the two nights.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for the feedback. Is Sorrento worth the stay or better to simply stay in Capri for the extra nights? Between Korcula and Hvar, is there a preference or suggestion for a first timer? I get the impression they just have different vibes but is one more of a can't miss?

Posted by
27616 posts

Are you planning to fly from Naples to Split? Sorrento doesn't have an airport. There's just one non-stop flight from Naples on June 30. It's on EasyJet and very inexpensive right now (though the current $43 price doesn't include luggage fees, seat selection, etc.). It departs from Naples at 11:05 AM. I'd want to spend the previous night in Naples.