Please sign in to post.

Amalfi

Hello
We are planning to stay 4 nights in the amalfi coast area at the start of June .We are 3 adultsr. We would like to go to capri, pompeii, and explore some of the towns along the amalfi coast.. we really want to see Positano and we don't like to rush.We have time. . I'm looking for suggestions on where to stay. We don't know betwen Positano or Sorrento.If we stay in Sorrento it is possible to visit Positano and stay full day there? We are planning to rent an apartment or villa but we don't know if it is a good idea or better to stay at hotel....but I'm wondering about location on the amalfi coast. I like the appeal of staying in a smaller town, but will it be inconvenient for those day trips? Thanks for any advice. This will be our first time to Amalfi Coast.

Thanks in advance

Posted by
54 posts

thank you.

Do I need to book ferry from Sorrento to positano in advance and Capri

thanks

Posted by
54 posts

thank you.

Do I need to book ferry from Sorrento to positano in advance and Capri

thanks

Posted by
15827 posts

Zoe knows her stuff so I'd take her reco into consideration but just IMHO, if you intend to spend the lion's share of your days traveling outside of the town you're staying in, I'd go with Sorrento for its plethora of transport options (train/bus/boat) around the region.

Yes, you can spend a day in Positano: if wanting to stay into the evening, you may have to return to Sorrento by bus as the boats don't run into the later hours. Do be aware that exploring that one will mean lots and lots of climbing, and we honestly didn't find a lot to do there but take tons of photos but it was fun for 1/2 day. The boats can't manage the docks there if the seas are very rough but it's far less likely than more that will happen.

No, you do not have to book a boat to Capri/Positano in advance although I'd allow plenty of time to purchase your RT tickets and getting in line on the morning of your trip. Same with getting in line for the trip back, and ESPECIALLY so if planning on taking the last boat.

Posted by
15827 posts

Additional note about apartment versus hotel: based on your previous posts, I'm going to say that a hotel is best for you. Staying in apartments means being able to function independently with no support/help from desk services which are available in hotels. As you appear to be having some challenges putting this trip together, you may benefit from having those extra services available to you.

With three of you, you will need to book hotels which offer 'family' sized rooms or those which can accommodate an extra cot for your third person.

Posted by
39 posts

Hotel Margherita in Priano was clean, pretty with an amazing view. Its a family run hotel and they were very helpful. There was parking for a car and a decent restaurant for meals. The beach was quiet and pretty. The price was very reasonable. It was in between Positano and Ravello and Amalfi. We had a car but also used the buses. Don't miss the ferry to Capri.